Aliceinbookland's Reviews > The Best of Me

The Best of Me by Nicholas Sparks

Feb 07, 12

bookshelves: sweeet-home-alabama-types, couples-i-love, he-said-she-said, romance
Read from February 04 to 06, 2012

Its more than 4.5 but not 5. I loved Dawson's character,his undying love for Amanda,his loyalty, his devotion. Everything. Love is the most beautiful feeling and yet the most painful too. That's what this book told me. Dawson-Amanda and Tuck-Clara were soul-mates and there is no denial in that.But I just loved the intensity and the height of passionate love between both of the couples. Clara was just mentioned in few lines but Tuck's passionate love for Clara left a great impact in the story. I wanted to stop reading the book when Amanda kissed Dawson. Whatever love they shared, it was important to not forget that Amanda had a family. Maybe my conscience was speaking to me at that time.Because when Amanda chose Frank over Dawson, something heavy was lifted off me and then there was this huge hole because she lost Dawson. Her only love. Truest in every form.
And the ending, phew, He surely gave the best of him!! I loved the way emotions were handled in the book.
The feeling that Dawson had lost his purpose of life after Amanda left and Mrs. Bonner forgave him made me realise that there was really something else waiting for him which will fulfill his reason to have lived for so many years waiting to finally meet Amanda. The fact that he never died because he lived with Amanda by being Jared 's heart ran chills through my spine. I guess I could on and on with this book.

A song for the book:
"Love you till the end" by The Pogues

P.S: Hugh Jackman (Dawson) and Madhuri dixit (Amanda) stood in my mind all the time I read this book. Which is not weird.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Best of Me.

Quotes Aliceinbookland Liked

Nicholas Sparks
“Because you aren't just someone I loved back then. You were my best friend, my best self, and I can't imagine giving that up again." He hesitated searching for the right words. "You might not understand, but I gave you the best of me, and after you left, nothing was ever the same.”
Nicholas Sparks, The Best of Me

Nicholas Sparks
“Love, after all, always said more about those who felt it than it did about the ones they loved.”
Nicholas Sparks, The Best of Me