Robyn Blaber's Reviews > Talent is Overrated: What Really Separates World-Class Performers from Everybody Else

Talent is Overrated by Geoff Colvin

Feb 04, 12

bookshelves: american-literature, non-fiction
Read in February, 2012

Well, I think I could have written this book and made it a lot shorter. 3 stars is perhaps low considering that the research was good... and that I agree with the author's findings. It's just that the conclusion was obvious. How do you advance to a world class at some skill? Malcolm Gladwell explained that in his book outliers; simply spend 10,000 hours at a thing. You'll become a master.

Colvin points out that many people spend years... 10,000 hours plus at a task, however they never achieve world-class mastery of their skill. What is the difference between these mediocre performers and their world-class contempararies? The difference here is boiled down to "deliberate practice". The kind of practice or training that focuses on individual aspects of a certain skill. Every sports practitioner and musician knows about this kind of practice as do I. Colvin makes a case for using deliberate practice in other fields as well, business and science. It's a strong argument and as a former musician, I found it easy to agree with his idea strongly... but he could have stated it in a single chapter. That being said, my review will save you the time of reading this book. How do you get to Carnegie Hall? (Deliberate) Practice!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Talent is Overrated.