Tracey's Reviews > What was Lost

bookshelves: libraryread
Read in August, 2008

Being processed 14 Jul - REQ'd - Kittiwake review on LJ
Checked out Started 7 Aug; finished 10 Aug 2008

Just started - so far feeling very much like a Brit version of Harriet the Spy... I like the main character already!
ETA: The story's taken a bit of a twist as we're sudden following 2 different characters 20 years later (one of whom has a connection to Kate)... and I suspect either spooky or tragic (or both) elements are afoot.

Turns out both characters - Lisa and Kurt - have a connection to Kate beyond working in the shopping center she enjoyed exploring.
The detailed descriptions of the shopping center, the shoppers and the people working in it were darkly, depressingly amusing - the author was definitely writing from what she knew. It's not quite a satire on consumerism; more a commentary... I still can't decide if it took too much away from the main story or not.

The ending was foreshadowed well, without being totally given away, IMHO. Depressing, but I knew the tragedy was inevitable. There were a couple of mild surprises (for me) along the way. I quite enjoyed the novel & will probably look for a secondhand copy, as well as other books by the author.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read What was Lost.