Nicolo Yu's Reviews > The Stand: Captain Trips

The Stand by Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa

Mar 25, 12

bookshelves: summer-reading-2012, graphic-novels
Read from March 18 to 19, 2012 — I own a copy, read count: 1

The Stand: Captain Trips is the first of a set of miniseries that adapts Stephen King’s post-apocalyptic novel, The Stand. This review centers on the hardcover collection of the series which include sketchbook material, creator comments and sample scripts. It is should be noted that I haven’t read the original novel and I aim to do when opportunity presents itself, so in order to gauge if this is a faithful adaptation of the source material, I rely on the various synopses available online.

The story, as adapted and scripted by Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa introduces the characters and sets up the events that lead to the depopulation of the continental United States by “Captain Tricks”, a biological warfare agent that is a mutated strain of the human influenza virus. It is an excellent starting point as Aguirre-Sacasa fleshes out the background of the characters who are soon to have major roles as this adaptation progresses from this initial miniseries.

The art is a revelation. I didn’t know Mike Perkins is this good. He usually has a secondary role in Captain America by Ed Brubaker where he supports main artist Steve Epting with inks and the occasional pencils in maintaining consistent visuals with their similar styles. Perkins provides art with an emphasis that is almost photorealistic and the figures move with a grace that is not static or posed that often plagues realistic art. His depictions of the phlegm bloated corpses of the plague victims are both vividly gruesome and fascinating because of the detail. The standout chapter of this collection is the Randall Flagg-centric one where the line art and colors unite beautifully to give you a tale of the story’s evil force. Reading it gives you a feeling of the malevolence that emanates from the character and gives a chill to your bones.

This is shaping out to be an excellent adaptation of a Stephen King book and an excellent starter to one of his more acclaimed novels. I have no problem of buying the succeeding chapters, if they do somehow end up in the bargain bookstore where I got his copy.
5 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Stand.

03/18/2012 page 16
10.0% "The infected corpses bloated with phlegm are grossly depicted. Perkins is going all out on the art." 1 comment
03/19/2012 page 160
100.0% "Mike Perkins draws figures with an emphasis on realism but doesn't sacrifice action or movement. I've had read his art before but his linework was muddled by his colorist. Laura Martin not to do this and improve the art."