Erika Gill's Reviews > The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake

The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake by Aimee Bender

Feb 09, 13

Read in January, 2012

I'm not sure I have it in me to go into a really descriptive review of this novel. But I will say a few things about my response to it.

1) It made me sad. Well, sadder. I was already pretty sad for a number of reasons and this book did not help. It's about a girl who is a victim to all of the emotions in the world. Her brother is mentally and later physically absent from her life, her dad gives up, and her mother is an incredibly selfish, self-absorbed woman, and Rose suffers a lot of disappointment.

2) It did not give me any closure. There is not a single event in Rose's life (including her discovery of the French cafe with lovingly made food), that gives her any (seemingly) real happiness, nor does it give the reader fulfillment or catharsis.

3) I was totally engrossed. This book is really very well written. Just don't read it when you're down in the dumps.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Jennifer Mcgown I agree with what you wrote. This was a family with lots of secrets and that helped bring about the sadness. You didn't find out till the end that the father had his own "gift" that he didn't know how to deal with - as well as his father. I felt reading it that the mother was selfish, but she also was being closed out by her son and her husband. A better woman would have tried to bring the family together, but she instead found her own interests and followed them.

Yadi I loved your response to this book. You were able to put into words my thoughts on this book as well. Great review!

Eversist Alfonso Good review. Accurate.

message 4: by Amy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Amy It may have been the most depressing book I have ever read.