Dija's Reviews > Can You Keep a Secret?

Can You Keep a Secret? by Sophie Kinsella

Feb 08, 12

bookshelves: before-2007, cotton-candy-fluff, lollercoaster, cr, authors-i-stalk, read-in-2012, my-reviews
Recommended to Dija by: Kissa, Jasprit, Jessica, Madu, mrsj, and Aly.
Read from February 04 to 05, 2012

Rating Breakdown:
Enjoyment - 5 stars
Story - 3 stars
Emma - 3.5 stars
Jack - 2 stars
Side characters - 5 stars
Ending - 2.5 stars

The average is 3.5 stars, but since enjoyment is my number one reason for reading in the first place, I'll round it up to 4 stars.

This book is, hands-down, the funniest book I've ever read. I laughed so hard, I had tears in my eyes and cramps in my tummy throughout. This book should come with a warning label, something like, Can You Keep a Secret?... AKA The Sole Cause of Death by Laughter World-Wide! It's nearly impossible to hate a book after it makes you feel so warm and fuzzy inside.

Most of this book is solid 5-star material. There's humor, romance, lesbian fantasies, drama, and good decision-making, along with some of the most outrageously hilarious characters ever to be created (yes, I mean you, Jemima). Unfortunately, the ending sorely lacks closure, and is the main reason why I didn't give this a higher rating. All my other problems mainly stem from this one issue.

The ending left me entirely unsatisfied and highly doubtful about the future of Emma and Jack, as a couple and otherwise. Basically, it didn't feel like an ending. It was rushed and anti-climactic, in addition to being slightly unrealistic. It would have been the perfect ending had this been a series, but since it's a stand-alone novel, I got the distinct impression that there were still several chapters left, and they were simply missing from the version of the book I read. Not the greatest feeling to have after finishing a book, to be sure.

Emma is a lot better at confrontations and standing up for herself than the other two heroines of Kinsella's I've read, namely Poppy from I've Got Your Number: A Novel and Lexi from Remember Me? I'm sure most female readers can relate to her in one aspect or the other. I really loved Jack too, until he (view spoiler). I never truly accepted his excuse, nor did I entirely forgive him for it.

After everything that happened between Emma and Jack, especially the whole deal with their respective secrets, I would have really liked to see more of them as a couple, to genuinely believe they had anything lasting going on. These are two individuals from vastly different backgrounds, and let's face it: the man's a multimillionaire, and the girl's his employee. In real life, these kind of relationships hardly ever work out, and I would have liked Kinsella to prove me wrong by actually showing Emma and Jack in a stable relationship, one where they both learn to talk their problems out instead of jumping to conclusions. We never really get to know Jack as someone besides "Jack Harper, the man who founded the Panther Corporation", and the trust between Emma and him seems too delicate and fragile for anything but a temporary affair.

I guess I was simply expecting more from this book, and while it was one of the best light reads I've read in a while, that annoying feeling I got, the one where I really don't feel the ending did justice to the story, sort of ruined it for me.

That aside, this is truly a fantastic book, one of the rare ones I'll certainly be re-reading in the years to come.

THANK YOU to everyone who urged me to read this book ASAP! I am forever indebted to you. ♥♥♥

For more reviews, visit my blog.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Can You Keep a Secret?.

Madu It is Sophie Kinsella at her best here:D

Dija So I've heard. Can't wait to start it!

Aly is so frigging bored I loved it! But take it from me: don't read it in a public place or, better yet, don't read it with anyone around you :))

message 4: by Dija (last edited Feb 04, 2012 05:11AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dija LOL, I never read with people around me. It's so annoying, and I can't concentrate. But thanks for the heads up anyway. I assume this is a tearjerker and/or a lollercoaster?

Aly is so frigging bored You laugh so haaaaaard! I think I wrote in my review what happened when I read the book :D go read it :))

Jasprit Yay! I really hope you enjoy this one!

Dija Oh, God, I stayed awake till 4 last night reading this, and my stomach wouldn't stop hurting from all the laughter! I love this book!

is mee... kissa haha, now you have to thank everyone that recommended this to you.

mrsj Glad u like it!

Aly is so frigging bored Dee I can't wait to read your review :D

message 11: by Dija (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dija @Kissa: Done! Do you feel sufficiently thanked now? :P

@M: Me too! This is such a sweet read. :D

@Aly: Well, it's added now. Bet you're sad I didn't give it 5 stars, right?

Aly is so frigging bored Each his own Dee, each his own

message 13: by Madu (new) - rated it 5 stars

Madu I'm glad that you liked it :D
But with the "not a proper ending part"...I don't know...I don't want to think about it because I am a harsh critic with books that I don't particulary love, but this book I loved and I tend to ignore all the small details regarding the books I adore that may make the book less amazing :D

message 14: by Dija (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dija I know what you mean, Madu. I do that with favorite authors/books as well. And even I'm surprised I felt so strongly about the ending. I'm glad you enjoyed it though, and thanks for recommending it to me. :D

Jasprit Great review Dija, it makes me all nostalgic now, I think I need a re-read soon :)

Meg ♥ This is so highly recommended to me too so I better get on it. The Undomestic Goddess is my favorite so far. So funny!

message 17: by Dija (last edited Feb 07, 2012 05:43AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dija @Jasprit: Thanks! This is definitely one of those books you never get tired of. I'm looking forward to re-reading it too, once my memory goes sort of fuzzy. 8D

@Meg: You should definitely read this soon, Meg! It's amazing, especially if you're a fan of SK's. I'll look into The Undomestic Goddess next. :D

message 18: by Limonessa (new)

Limonessa I've had this book forever... maybe I should get to it soon!

message 19: by Dija (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dija You really should, Lisa! But make sure you're in the mood for something light and fun when you do. Otherwise, you might find some parts really annoying. :D

message 20: by Megan (new)

Megan I wasn't as captured by the book; it seemed flat to me. The main character, Emma kinda of got on my nerves for some reason.

message 21: by Dija (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dija @Sam: Thank you! You really should! When I first read one of her books, I wasn't even aware she was such a popular author. I can totally see why she is now though. Her books are great for light reads!

@Megan: Sorry it didn't work you. :( I think you really have to be in the mood for something this fluffy, otherwise you just end up hating it. Hell, I was in the mood for something fun, and even then a lot of parts irritated me, so I can't say I blame you. XD

is mee... kissa Diji wrote: "@Kissa: Done! Do you feel sufficiently thanked now? :P"
thank you, i feel very thanked =D.

message 23: by Yodamom (new) - added it

Yodamom I listened to the audio of this book after your review. I am so happy I did it was a blast of fun. Thanks for the review. I really needed the laugh.

message 24: by Dija (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dija Thanks a lot, Yodamom! Glad I could make you laugh. :D I'm wondering, though, do you think listening to it on audio would make the jokes even funnier, because then it'd be like somebody's actually telling them to you? Hmmm.

message 25: by Veda (new) - rated it 5 stars

Veda Which one is better, this or can you keep a secret? i've read can you keep a secret? but not i've got your number yet. I absolutely loved can you keep a secret, except for the language and a few scenes and I would loved if it was a sequel! I need more! so which one is better?

message 26: by Yodamom (new) - added it

Yodamom I think they are funnier on audio if there is a good narrator. The twist in the inflection on the voices makes a big difference. I think her books are an excellent audio choice.Dija wrote: "Thanks a lot, Yodamom! Glad I could make you laugh.

message 27: by Joy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Joy Sallegue I have to agree that this is the funniest book I've read. I laughed myself to tears while reading it. May not be the best story but the entertainment value is superb.

message 28: by Nailah (new)

Nailah Caldwell This book was so good I couldn't be without it. I love Kinsella's character, Emma, so much! As soon as Emma returned to England and the story progressed a few pages in I felt like I was reading about me. Emma is the relatable character that I love. She is not a perfect woman. Even young adult women could relate to Emma. She is the woman that has her faults, and can live with them. I also love Jack and his relationship with Emma. My problems with the book though, include Jack's problem, Emma's family and the ending. I personally feel that more should have come from Jack apology to Emma. More than just a disclosing of close secrets and apologies. Call me vindictive, but he owes Emma a lot. I also wish that Kinsella could have added more moments with Emma's family and possibly one or two more with Jack included. The family dynamics are presented right to our faces, I just would have liked more moments to delve deeper into the preference Emma's dad seems to present for Kerry compared to his own daughter. Finally, the ending left much to be desired. As much as I love the book, the ending was a bit to abrupt for me. If Kinsella had add more to allow us an insight into the aftermath of the climaxes I would have been satisfied. Other than that I love this book. I definitely want another installment into "Can You Keep a Secret".

Maggie ME TOO, I listened to it as a ibook and nearly drove off the road laughing.

Readtolove genius way to rate a book, im going to do it the same way from now on.