Jacqueline's Reviews > On the Island

On the Island by Tracey Garvis-Graves

What to say about this book? I loved it. It had some of my favorite tropes, survival and the older woman theme. This book wasn't shorted anywhere. The survival element was fully described and filled out. The romance was intense, sweet and real. The characterization was wonderful. I loved TJ, the hero. How could Anna help falling in love with him? Well of course she couldn't. The older woman stranded on an island with a teenage boy could have been prurient but was not at all if you're worried about that. The heroine was great too. The book was written with altering chapters in 1st person POV from both Anna then TJ so you could watch their feelings for each other develop over the years they spent on the island together.

I can totally see myself reading this one again. I highly recommend it to my GR friends as a truly romantic and wonderful book.
20 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read On the Island.

Quotes Jacqueline Liked

Tracey Garvis-Graves
“[T.J.] If she had gotten sick, the only thing I could have done was watch her suffer. Bury her next to Mick when she died. I didn’t know if I could make it without her. The sound of her voice, her smile, her– those were the things that made living on the island bearable. I held her a little tighter and thought if she woke up I might tell her that. She didn’t though. She sighed in her sleep, and eventually I drifted off.”

Tracey Garvis-Graves
“[Anna] In February, I woke up from a nap. A bouquet of flowers gathered from the various bushes and shrubs scattered around the island lay on the blanket beside me, a small length of rope wound around their stems.
I found T.J. down at the shore. “Someone’s been checking the calendar.”
He grinned. “I didn’t want to miss Valentine’s Day.”
I kissed him. “You’re sweet to me.”
Pulling me closer, he said, “It’s not hard, Anna.”
I stared into T.J.’s eyes, and he started to sway. My arms went around his neck and we danced, moving in a circle, the sand soft and warm under our feet.
“You don’t need music, do you?”
“No,” T.J. said. “But I do need you.”

Tracey Garvis-Graves
“[T.J.] I pulled my arms out from underneath her body and tucked her hair behind her ears. “I love you, Anna.”
The surprised look on her face told me she hadn’t seen that coming.
“You weren’t supposed to fall in love,” she whispered.
“Well, I did,” I said, looking into her eyes. “I’ve been in love with you for months. I’m telling you now because I think you love me too, Anna. You just don’t think you’re supposed to. You’ll tell me when you’re ready. I can wait.” I pulled her mouth down to mine and kissed her and when it ended, I smiled and said, “Happy birthday.”

02/18/2012 page 230
70.0% "Absolutely wonderful so far."

willaful Thanks so much for the loan -- it was awesome!

Jacqueline willaful wrote: "Thanks so much for the loan -- it was awesome!"

So glad you liked it.