Andreas's Reviews > Habibi

Habibi by Craig Thompson

Feb 03, 12

Read in February, 2012

A fascinating graphic novel that explores the growing relationship of two people in the desert.

The story touches many different subjects, from slavery to love, as well having to make tough choices in life and still living on, with each decision and encounter influencing the rest of life.

Many of those themes are connected with references to the Quran. Especially the religious theme adds to the richness of the background, showing how much thought and interpretation is in the text and especially the calligraphy of the beautiful Arabic script that is put into the spotlight throughout the book and often directly integrated into the drawings themselves.

In general, the drawing style and rich decorations make the book very exotic to someone living outside the Arabic background, and pulls you into another world. Many times I had to stop and admire the pictures in more detail; once I discovered that every single detail in each drawing as well as the pages full of decorative patterns are hand-drawn and not simply copied, it made it even more special to hold this book in my hand, appreciating how much work went into it.

While I have not read too many graphic novels before, this one definitely demonstrated the depth that can be in those, and already influenced the decision on what I'll read in the near future.
Highly recommended!
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Habibi.