Steph Sinclair's Reviews > Everbound

Everbound by Brodi Ashton

Actual rating: 4.5 stars

There are exactly two types of books that I tend to gravitate towards: Dystopians and Greek myths. Both feature characters in impossible, bleak situations. Those stories are dark, deadly and often times, down right tragic, not always ending with your standardized 'happily ever after.' Hmm... I'm not exactly sure what that says about me as a person, but I digress. I think the real allure is rooting for the underdogs even when it seems like they're up against the inevitable. It's the spark of hope in these character driven novels. The passion and determination of the main characters. The dynamic relationships that form as a result of these scenarios. But mostly importantly, it's the nagging thought in the back of your mind, wondering what you'd do if you were in their position, which paves the way for certain type of admiration for the strength in the protagonist. Everbound was that kind of book for me.

Immediately, after starting Everbound I had the sinking feeling it was going to tear at my heart. And I was right because obviously Nikki is still hurting over Jack's sacrifice with no way to save him. That is, until Cole reappears in her life and together they travel down to the Everneath to save Jack. And I should warn readers that this is not a happy novel and it does contain its fair share of teen angst, but, in my opinion, warranted. While Nikki and Cole navigate the Everneath, they rely heavily on her memories of Jack to show them the way. I was a little wary of the book containing flashbacks to help move the plot along because those types of novels don't seem to work well with me. Thankfully, I enjoyed it and I feel it helped fill the void for Jack's smallish role in this installment.

That's right. *weeps* There isn't much Jack in here. That made me really sad in the beginning, but then there was Cole, who is a completely different character for the better. Nikki is oblivious to Cole's feelings for her and at times that did annoy me. What was it going to take for her to see it? Did his love have to punch her in the face? Apparently. Yet, she failed to take much notice and that, unfortunately, led to a tragic ending... And if you're wondering, yes, there is a cliffhanger. In this case, I liked it only because I think Ashton set it up nicely even though I must now suffer more than a year to know what happens next (WHY?! *weeps* HOW SHALL I SURVIVE?).

Another thing I loved about Everbound was how much action was added this time around. Whereas Everneath moved as a slower pace and it almost felt like you could feel Nikki coming out her drugged haze, Everbound is the opposite with just enough action sequences, paired with bittersweet flashback memories of Nikki and Jack. But at the same time there is this layer of urgency to get to Jack before he disappears forever. So many obstacles are thrown at our characters, that I started to doubt if there would be any sort of resolution because Ashton doesn't make it easy for them. After all, this is based on a Greek myth. Remember all the tragedy, pain and suffering? Ashton really doesn't hold back and I really appreciated it.

Then there is the love triangle. And I really have to applaud Ashton for it. I know, I know. Not another dreaded love triangle. But let me tell you, I LOVE IT. Originally, I was solidly on Jack's side, but I'm finding myself more and more conflicted as this series goes on (much like I am with the Unearthly series). There seems to be so much more to Cole than I expected. He's such a complex character and learning more about his past in Everbound had me questioning who the true antagonist is.  Cole says there are no heroes. But is he just resisting the person he could be or has he accepted his fate and role as a true Everliving? I am unsure. All I know is that I was throughly deceived in this book. Like, egg all over my face. Feels rain down on me. Then by the end, ultimately, I drowned in it.

Photobucket

Usually, I have this habit where I rate books immediately after finishing the last page and this, admittedly, leads to a lot of books having inflated ratings from me. (I'm working on that.) But even after leaving Everbound's review waiting to be written for almost a week, I still feel this was an excellent second novel. I expected to find "Second Book Syndrome," but instead we have a story that significantly picked up the action, dived into more complex characterization and a conclusion that left me stunned. I think fans of Everneath will loves this and those who weren't particularly impressed with the first book will find a better novel here. There's really not much to say other than to wonder, how many children must I offer up for book three?

Interested in winning an ARC? Check back with us at the end of the month for our Top Cuddles of 2012 Giveaway Hop. (Yes, that was a bit of shameless self-promotion. I regret nothing.)

ARC was provided by HarperTEEN. Thank you! As usual, no monies or favors were exchanged for a positive review. I just happened to like something all by my lonesome. Shocking, I know.

More reviews and other fantastical things a Cuddlebuggery Book Blog.

----------------------

Thoughts immediately after reading:

OKAY. WHOA. That ending!!

GAHHHHHH!!!

Photobucket

-----------

Thoughts before reading:

Just look at that SMOKIN' cover!

Yes, DO want! Gimme!
85 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Everbound.

Quotes Steph Liked

Brodi Ashton
“However he'd found his way here, it didn't matter. I knew then that the boy under the tree had to be mine. That floppy hair should be mine to touch. That big, knuckly boy hand should be mine to hold. That gruff voice should be mine to hear, and those ears should be mine to tell all my secrets to. Except for the biggest secret. That I loved him. More than the crush I was dealing with for years. More than I should've loved a best friend. More than he would ever love me back. I was gone for him.”
Brodi Ashton, Everbound

Brodi Ashton
“Tell me, friend," Jack said, his fingertips grazing mind as people shuffled past us in the hallway. "Is there more for us?"
I looked at my feet. "There's everything for us.”
Brodi Ashton, Everbound

11/27/2012 page 133
34.0% 4 comments
11/28/2012 page 149
38.0% ""So, maybe some weapons would be nice too."
The corner of Ashe's mouth pulled up as he looked at Cole's deadpan expression. I got the feeling that these boys liked danger.

I get the feeling fun times are ahead. :D"
11/28/2012 page 215
55.0% "I'm loving this even more than the first! This love triangle is killing me because its so well-written." 9 comments

Lisa (Fic Talk) Cover lust to the highest power. *gazes*

message 2: by Oz (new) - added it

Oz After your great review of the first and I loved the first, I can't wait to read the second :D.

Steph Sinclair Lou Eli wrote: "After your great review of the first and I loved the first, I can't wait to read the second :D."

Aww, thanks. I can't wait to get my hands on Everbound too!

message 4: by Rogier (new) - added it

Rogier yellu

message 5: by Ceilidh (last edited Dec 01, 2012 08:23AM) (new) - added it

Ceilidh So...how crazy making is the ending??

Steph Sinclair Ceilidh wrote: "So...how crazy making is the ending??"

message 7: by Stephanie (new) - added it

Stephanie Parent Wait, there's ANOTHER one? I totally thought this was a two-parter!!!

Steph Sinclair Stephanie wrote: "Wait, there's ANOTHER one? I totally thought this was a two-parter!!!"

Yup! It's a trilogy!

message 9: by Ceilidh (new) - added it

Ceilidh Steph wrote: "Ceilidh wrote: "So...how crazy making is the ending??"

I think it's really the entire book making you feel one way, then at the end being punched in the face. I can't wait for the next book!"

Ahhh...excellent!

message 10: by Stephanie (new) - added it

Stephanie Parent I swear I read some early interview where the author said it was a "duology"...I guess they decided to draw it out b/c it was popular. Surprise, surprise.

(Sorry for the cynicism--I know you loved this but the first one wasn't my cup of tea. Although I liked the last third or so and I will read the sequels.)

Steph Sinclair Stephanie wrote: "I swear I read some early interview where the author said it was a "duology"...I guess they decided to draw it out b/c it was popular. Surprise, surprise.

(Sorry for the cynicism--I know you loved..."

It could have been said. I'm not sure! But I think people who like this one better. I really enjoyed the first one (I think I gave it 5 stars, but it's honestly more of a 4 star read for me. I got happy with ratings on that day.). I'll be interested too see what you think if/when you give it a go.

Lynn ಠ_ಠ Noooo, cliffhanger?! But great review Steph!

Lynn ಠ_ಠ And did you pick that drowning gif at random or do you watch Kuroko too? :D

message 14: by Atmika (last edited Dec 11, 2012 06:59AM) (new) - added it

Atmika I loved Everneath and I'm so excited about this book. I want!! I don't like cliffhangers, though. The way the first book ended almost killed me.
Great review! :)

Steph Sinclair @Lyn, Yes, there is a cliffhanger and it just about KILLED ME. But in a good way! And I don't watch Kuroko. The gif was picked at random because it fully exemplified my feelings. lol.

@Atmika, Thanks! Sometimes I'm okay with cliffhangers if I feel it matches the story. I don't like when they feel like they are just added "just because" the author can. You know?

message 16: by Rogier (new) - added it

Rogier exitedddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd

Katrina Welsh Everneath didn't really interest me. But after reading your review I want it now. I want it now in my hands right this second. Ugh. Thanks a lot, Steph. -__-

Steph Sinclair Katrina wrote: "Everneath didn't really interest me. But after reading your review I want it now. I want it now in my hands right this second. Ugh. Thanks a lot, Steph. -__-"

My pleasure. ;)

I think people will enjoy this one a bit more than Everneath. So I hope you enjoy it if/when you get around to it!

message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

I can say that cover is amazing.

message 20: by Petra (new) - added it

Petra Youssef I think i'll give this one a try

Steph Sinclair @Lyn, I usually don't go for the "girl in the dress" covers, but this series has some seriously pretty covers.

@Petra, I hope you like it!

message 22: by Petra (new) - added it

Petra Youssef @steph, thank you! it's deffs in my list you write great reviews :)

Allison Can not wait to read this

message 24: by Melinda Belle (new)

Melinda Belle Harrison OMG! I can't wait!!!!!

Steph Sinclair @Petra, I can't believe I missed your comment, but thank you!

@Allison and Melinda, It is so worth the wait! :)

Katrina Welsh Ok so I finished Everneath, Steph and I liked it a lot more than I expected. Went to read your review again and somehow the want for this book is even greater than what I felt the first time I read your review. Sigh... A year? How. I can't even.

Steph Sinclair Katrina wrote: "Ok so I finished Everneath, Steph and I liked it a lot more than I expected. Went to read your review again and somehow the want for this book is even greater than what I felt the first time I read..."

I'm so glad you liked Everneath. Everbound's release is right around the corner (January, I think?) so you don't have to wait much longer!

Kaitlyn Great review! So glad to hear that this is a good sequel. I just started Everbound and I'm loving it so far. :)

Ninoshka♥ Great review Steph!! \^0^/

message 30: by Chao (new) - rated it 5 stars

Chao Thanks for the great review. Do you remember why Nikki and Jack wanted to kill Cole? I knew the Tunnel was coming for Nikki, how could killing Cole solve that problem? Also, what exactly are the Wanderers? Are they just Everlings without hearts? I really LOVE this book. I think I like it more than Everneath. I can't wait for the next one. With my old age, I probably will have to re-read the first two before the third one comes out.

Steph Sinclair Chao wrote: "Thanks for the great review. Do you remember why Nikki and Jack wanted to kill Cole? I knew the Tunnel was coming for Nikki, how could killing Cole solve that problem? Also, what exactly are the..."

I believe they thought killing him would free Nikki from the tunnels. And Wanderers... I can't remember what they are. I'll probably have to re-read it too!

message 32: by Melinda Belle (new)

Melinda Belle Harrison Yeah, they thought if Cole died, the forfeit would be paid. Cole's life would pay the price. I need to read this new book. Have it. But not enough time at the moment.

message 33: by Chao (new) - rated it 5 stars

Chao Steph wrote: "Chao wrote: "Thanks for the great review. Do you remember why Nikki and Jack wanted to kill Cole? I knew the Tunnel was coming for Nikki, how could killing Cole solve that problem? Also, what ex..."

Thanks!

message 34: by jo (new)

jo mo oh!!! which anime is the gif from?

Steph Sinclair jo wrote: "oh!!! which anime is the gif from?"

Another commenter mentioned it's from Kuroko, though I have never seen it.

Lynn ಠ_ಠ Kuroko no Basket! :D Also, I've just finished the book and that gif conveys my feelings as well. Ugh

message 37: by jo (new)

jo mo thanks, guys! :)

Stephanie So amazing... And I was team cole from the beginning... Jack schmack... I know I'm going to be pissed when she ends up with jack... I love Coles tortured soul...

Steph Sinclair At this point, I'm not sure who I love more! Book 3 will be VERY interesting. :D

drowningmermaid So... Sorry if I missed it, but does this one have anything to do with the whole Hades/Persephone/Orpheus thing? Or was the myth only referenced in the first one... I am wondering because I just started book one, and I'm not seeing much myth here. I wouldn't be surprised if it dropped off completely in book two.

Danielle I'm 70% into the book right now and i am so in love with Cole it's embarrassing. I'm so sad right now because I know she's going to end up with Jack and I just.....ughghh this book is tearing away at my heart.

Steph Sinclair Danielle wrote: "I'm 70% into the book right now and i am so in love with Cole it's embarrassing. I'm so sad right now because I know she's going to end up with Jack and I just.....ughghh this book is tearing away ..."

Ohh, you must tell me you feels on the ending! You won't see it coming!

drowningmermaid wrote: "So... Sorry if I missed it, but does this one have anything to do with the whole Hades/Persephone/Orpheus thing? Or was the myth only referenced in the first one... I am wondering because I just s..."

Not really. It's very loosely based off the myth.