Colin's Reviews > Crossing the Threshold of Hope

Crossing the Threshold of Hope by Pope John Paul II

M 50x66
Feb 21, 12

Read from February 03 to 21, 2012

Very good book if you want to understand the position of the Catholic Church as it stands today on modern social issues, and why these things are not opinion-based, but reflect a consistency with the faith from centuries before. Sin does not change but remains the same. Temptation is what changes, and our culture is full of new temptations that lead us to sin. Yet the eternal truths about sin have not changed at all.

JPII puts the transition of old to new into perspective and explains the foundation of why the Church preaches, teaches, and believes that modernity has a great potential but also a great battle ahead. Marxist revolutions were only the beginning of a much larger trend of man to reject God entirely in every aspect of life, but this is symptomatic of a larger fear of what might happen if mankind truly accepted God and accepted his forgiveness of our wretched sinfulness. JPII wisely suggests it is fear that will be the biggest enemy in the future when he offers his advice: "be not afraid!"

Finally, the new evangelization is a concept laid out in this book which brings hope, that there is a way to bring mankind back to a wholeness of self, to human rights, to respect and dignity of the human life, to sacrifices for the sake of others, because in truth, the new evangelization is not much different from the old evangelization, to be in the world but not of the world, to profess our faith in word and deed, and again, to "be not afraid!"
3 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Crossing the Threshold of Hope.