April's Reviews > Shadow's Edge

Shadow's Edge by Brent Weeks

Main points:

1) There was even a "I'm your father" scene. Lol, cracked me up.

2) Vi really surprised me, she was fucking insane in the beginning. Still kind of is but her madness is more explained as it goes on. Like this one scene:

"'She's one hot bitch, ain't she?' Tom Gray said, grabbing a breats.

She ignored him. 'Don't make me do something you'll regret,' she told the Shinga.

'Can I have her after you're done?' Tom asked. He squeezed her breast again and then he petted her hair.

'DON'T TOUCH MY HAIR!' she yelled.

Both the bodyguard and Tom flinched at her sudden fury, Barush Sniggle forced a laugh a moment later.

'You little guttershite, you sewer froth, you touch my hair and I swear I'll rip you apart,'
Vi said, trembling.

He swore at her and ripped out the leather thong that bound her hair back. Her hair fell loose around her shoulders fo teh first time in years. She stood exposed, naked, and the men were laughing."

She's been raped and been trained under Momma K. And her master was Hu Gibbert so, yea, you can just imagine, if he has a bloodlust for murder, how he is with sex. So she doesn't feel naked when she is literally naked. Instead, it's when her hair is down because she only takes it down when she's going to bed and only if she's safe. It's become an important symbol for her.

She once explains:

"Her nudity is her armor. It blinded the drooling fools. They couldn't see anything else while they saw her body."
AND
"Her sex was totally numb."

She's explained men as the destroyers of life and women as the nurturers and givers of life. So, you get that she views men, as a whole, as shit. Kylar changes that for her. He shows her something she didn't think existed in men. He's compassionate towards her and sees her like no one else ever has. And didn't reject her. However, he loves Elene.

I feel for her but she doesn't beat Elene, not for me.

3) That ending was such a twist. I thought for a split-second: this is becoming like a soap-opera. hehe.

4) Kyler coming back to life is becoming overused. Something like that shouldn't be able to be overused. And, one of them was just plain funny. But, it was hinted that there is a major price for it so we'll see.

5) Momma K and Lord General Brant Agon.<---- I can so see it. :)

6) Dorian and (view spoiler). 0.0 Yup.

7) Logan was pretty awesome. He had some of the best scenes and the Hole was insane.

8) Hu Gibbert, ha!

9) Mags. Damn. I have total respect for her. That whole scene with Garoth's women was just sick. Part of why I shelved this book under antagonist-5 stars. Garoth is messed up.

"He would enter silently and wake Magdalyn roughly. He loved Magdalyn's scream. He would beat her savagely and acuse her of plotting against him.

If she begged and swore it wasn't true like most frightened women would, he'd throw her off the balcony. If she cursed him, he would bang her, matching her defiance with an equal degree of brutality, and she would live another day. Before he left, he would hold her tenderly in his arms and whisper that he was sorry, that he loved her. Decent women always wanted to see something good in him. He shivered in anticipation."

10) Wish we could see more with Kylar (view spoiler) people. That was really interesting.

11) The scenes with Vi, Sister Ariel, and Uly were almost like a dream come true to see Vi talked to like that. lol

12) The battle at Screaming Winds with Khali was freaking crazy. She's like a what-do-call-those. They sing and they lure you to their deaths with their beauty. Mermaids? Hold on, let me check this on wiki or something. Sirens! Mermaids, lol. It's because of that last Pirates of the Carribean movie and those killer mermaids.

13) Poor Uly. Vi probably messed her up for life, explaining to her, in detail, sex. The. Worst. Person. Ever.

14) Caernarvon's thugs are just laughable.

15) Kylar as an ex-wetboy was actually not that bad. The scenes with them as a family were sweet. Just imagine him with an apron on. Hehe. It would've worked, if only...

16) Retribution, my precious. I got a teensy-weensy upset over that, but it ended it okay, so I'm good.

I think that covers it. Hope I didn't give too much away. =)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shadow's Edge.

Quotes April Liked

Brent Weeks
“Why is it, my shadow-striding friend, that we don't fear dreams? We lose consciousness, lose control, things happen with no apparent logic and abiding by no apparent rules.... We don't fear dreams, but we do fear madness, and death terrifies us.”

Brent Weeks
“Love is a fragile, corruptible thing. And yet I have seen it evince a curious strength. It is beyond any comprehension Love is a weakness that once in a great while triumphs over strength. ”
tags: love

Brent Weeks
“Elene gasped and sat up. "Kylar Thaddeus Stern!"
Kylar giggled. "Thaddeus? That's a good one. I knew a Thaddeus once."
"So did I. He was a blind idiot."
"Really?" Kylar said, his eyes dancing. "The one I knew was famous for his gigantic-"
"Kylar!" Elene interrupted, motioning toward Uly.
"His gigantic what?" Uly asked.
"Now you did it." Elene said, "His gigantic what, Kyler?"
"Feet. And you know what they say about big feet." He winked lasciviously at Elene.
"What?" Uly asked.
"Big Shoes," Kylar said.”

Brent Weeks
“DON'T TOUCH MY HAIR!' she yelled.”

Brent Weeks
“Her nudity is her armor. It blinded the drooling fools. They couldn't see anything else while they saw her body.”

Brent Weeks
“He would enter silently and wake Magdalyn roughly. He loved Magdalyn's scream. He would beat her savagely and acuse her of plotting against him.

If she begged and swore it wasn't true like most frightened women would, he'd throw her off the balcony. If she cursed him, he would bang her, matching her defiance with an equal degree of brutality, and she would live another day. Before he left, he would hold her tenderly in his arms and whisper that he was sorry, that he loved her. Decent women always wanted to see something good in him. He shivered in anticipation.”

“Fock eww.”

Brent Weeks
“I oh wha ih eenz, idj," Vi said, though it was a lie.”