MelissaB's Reviews > The Demon You Know

The Demon You Know by Christine Warren

1320046
Jul 23, 08

bookshelves: paranormal-romance, christine-warren-the-others
Recommended for: people who like TSTL heroines
Read in July, 2008

I was pretty disappointed with this book. We met Rule in She's No Fairie Princess where he seemed like a great hero. I liked Rule in this book as well but his character wasn't really fleshed out. All I know about him is that he was part of the Watch in the Demon world who protects the Upper world from fiends, who are bad demons. I have no idea what life is like in the Demon world, how their society works or what type of life Rule had there before we met him.

The heroine, Abby, is just plain TSTL and annoying. I like to root for my heroines but I just could not empathise with her. She gets possessed by a fiend and acts like a spoiled brat about it. Her reasoning for putting herself in danger was ridiculous - pretty much she thought she should be able to do whatever she wanted even if an evil fiend was trying to capture her. Even if that meant sneaking away from her guards and putting a lot of lives in danger. The girl was just dumb and childish. She was mean to Rule and everyone else for the first half of the book. She is described over and over again as being plain and mousy, so I am not sure what her appeal was. If her personality is unattractive and the outside is plain and unremarkable, why would you want her?

Miraculously Abby and Rule fall in love despite not knowing each other at all and only having a few conversations where Abby yells at Rule for trying to save her life and keep the world safe from fiends. They suddenly decide to have sex, then they are suddenly a couple and will stay together for life. Apparently Rule decided Abby would be his "mate" although I still am not sure what type of long term relationships Demons normally have. Abby manages to get herself caught by the big bad fiend who is after the fiend possessing her, Rule goes after her to try to save her, bla bla bla the fiends die bla bla bla Rule and Abby decide to stay together until she dies then Rule will follow her.

I hope the rest of this series is better written than this book. It was just not good. It is only getting two stars because I enjoyed the first sex scene.
5 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Demon You Know.

message 1: by Catherine (last edited Aug 27, 2010 08:54AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Catherine This title and cover seem really familiar. Have I read this??? The plot isn't ringing a bell though...

It sounds frustrating. I cannot stand TSTL and guys who love the heroine for no apparent reason.

MelissaB Yeah this one drove me nuts