Vanessa's Reviews > Hired by the Cowboy

2054747
Feb 05, 12

bookshelves: romance, e-books, free
Read from February 04 to 05, 2012

This was another freebie thanks to Harlequin. It's a cute story that has some sad bits to it, especially since it deals with trust issues and learning how to deal with the past. The lack of communication made sense in this one because both characters have been hurt in the past and have led lonely lives. It's not easy to open up to someone especially when you've been deceived by the ones you love.

I could completely relate to Alexis throughout the entire novel. How can you be sure to trust someone? In her case, this is extremely difficult since she was left by the man who promised to be by her side no matter what. Yet the moment she announces that she is pregnant with his child, he goes running in the opposite direction. Despite this horrible ordeal, Alexis remains strong and focused. I thought she was a cutie and she made me laugh many times throughout the story.

Connor was another good character in the story. He is not like the 'typical' (stereotypical jerk that the media puts out there) straight guy who likes to play women like a guitar. He cares for Alexis, but their complicated relationship turns more difficult when things with the ranch don't go according to plan.

Maybe it's because I love non-human animals so much, but I didn't like it when the author poked fun at a cow toward the end, insinuating that Connor's life is worth more than a 'stupid cow'. I think no animal is more important or better than another, but that's my personal belief.

Overall it was a good story with a good ending. It's nice to read some happy endings once in awhile, especially when you read fiction that is more dark and edgy.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hired by the Cowboy.

02/04/2012 page 114