Lindsay's Reviews > The Land

The Land by Mildred D. Taylor

Apr 24, 10

Read in April, 2010

I think prequels are a little harder to get into than sequels b/c you don't know the characters as well but it was nice to get a picture of the obsession for land that Cassie's parents are always talking about in Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry. They always talk about how important it is to them and it is in this book that you can really see why because of how hard Paul, Mitchell, and Caroline work for it. Not to mention the fact that it was unheard of for coloreds to own land at that point. It was interesting b/c I felt like I really understood Paul's need for land and a place of his own as we just got our own place.
I am still amazed by how inhumane our society was with slavery and the inequality following. It is crazy how long it took to remove that. I mean there are still people today who are racist and I know my dad grew up with segregation so it is still not gone from our society. It is probably something we will always deal with because it existed in the first place.
The only thing about this book I didn't like and why I only gave it 4 stars instead of 5 was that some of the characters and parts of it seemed forced like when his sister sent the money so he could get the land. I mean I was happy for him to get what he so yearned for but just certain parts of the book seemed a little cliche maybe. I knew something was going to happen to Mitchell because it was part of his character but I thought the killing of the horse was a low blow. I was really sad at that part. Overall it was a pretty good read. I love historical fiction and want to finish the rest of this series.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Land.