Diana (Mrs. Barrons)'s Reviews > Sweet Blood of Mine

Sweet Blood of Mine by John Corwin

May 10, 2012

bookshelves: paranormal-or-pnr, series, series-to-finish

This book was not at all what I expected. I know I could have guessed that just by reading the blurb and all, but even after reading the blurb I still think I was expecting the average YA paranormal novel. This wasn’t it. I mean, talk about a loser. Justin starts the book as a pudgy nerd who spends his free time beating up other nerds with foam swords in nerdy live action battles. I can honestly say that this is not someone I would expect to see as a protagonist for a kick ass, action packed book. But at the same time, you can’t help but love him.

Not only am I giving the author an A for originality (I have never read a book with a premise quite like this one) but I’m giving him an A for carrying out the whole “don’t judge a book by its cover” moral as well. I love to see a YA book that carries a good message, but its not a message that’s hammered into you. Its just there. And you can’t help but pick it up due to your love of the characters. I loved reading a book with a male lead, written my a male author (so basically, a believable male lead). And the male lead is an average guy (well, he starts pretty average anyway). And not like a boy-next-door-i’m-so-cute-but-i-don’t-know-i’m-cute lead. A seriously average guy. Basically, I thought the whole premise was very refreshing.

The book did have some slow points though. In building the character and showing us just how average he was, the start of the book dragged a little. And it dragged again when there were pages of football talk. I know this might be exciting for football fans, but as someone who can’t stand the sport, I had to skim through some of those parts.

Overall, I thought this was a highly original book and I’ll be looking forward to the next in the series.

Read more reviews on http://nightlyreading.wordpress.com/
7 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sweet Blood of Mine.

05/07/2012 page 30
10.0% "A little different than expected."

Cassandra I agree with you completely. Great review. I am eagerly awaiting book 2 now which is surprising because after the first 1/3 of the book, I wasn't sure I was going to finish it!

message 2: by Diana (Mrs. Barrons) (last edited May 10, 2012 08:05AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Diana (Mrs. Barrons) Cassandra wrote: "I agree with you completely. Great review. I am eagerly awaiting book 2 now which is surprising because after the first 1/3 of the book, I wasn't sure I was going to finish it!"

Lol, I liked it from the start, but I liked it a lot more after it picked up the pace a little. :-) I'm a sucker for a male POV written by a male author. Just don't see it much I guess.