Karen's Reviews > Physical Change and Aging: A Guide for the Helping Professions

Physical Change and Aging by Sue V. Saxon

May 06, 12

bookshelves: aging, health, textbooks
Read from February 03 to May 06, 2012

People need an owner's manual for the body, and the aging body presents specific challenges. Even young people should read this book in order to adopt habits that can prevent or at least postpone some age-related problems. Almost every chapter motivates me to eat healthier, exercise more and better manage my stress. I don't smoke or drink, which will help me avoid some of the problems described.

Others are just a consequence of aging that cannot be entirely prevented. We all have a slowing of the cognitive system. We lose muscle mass. Most people have problems with vision and hearing (men lose hearing at an earlier age, but women catch up by their 80s). Arthritis, diabetes, diverticulitis, heart disease, high cholesterol are prevalent, but some lifestyle choices can ward them off.

If you or anyone you know has an aging body, pick up this book and gain some insight into the changes they (and you) will experience.

The contents are as follows:

Ch. 1 "Perspectives on Aging"
Ch. 2 "Theories of Aging"
Ch. 3 "The Skin, Hair, and Nails"
Ch. 4 "The Musculoskeletal System"
Ch. 5 "The Nervous System"
Ch. 6 "Dementia and Delirium"
Ch. 7 "The Sensory Systems"
Ch. 8 "The Cardiovascular System"
Ch. 9 "The Respiratory System"
Ch. 10 "The Gastrointenstinal System"
Ch. 11 "The Urinary System"
Ch. 12 "The Reproductive System"
Ch. 13 "The Endocrine System"
Ch. 14 "The Immune System"
Ch. 15 "Aging with Lifelong Disabilities"
Ch. 16 "Special Topics:: Alcoholism, Falls, Foot Care Pain"
Ch. 17 "Health Promotion and Exercise"
Ch. 18 "Complementary and Alternative Therapies"
Ch. 19 "Nutrition"
Ch. 20 "Medications and the Elderly"
Ch. 21 "Teaching Older Adults"
Ch. 22 "Caregiving"
Ch. 23 "Death and Grief in the Later Years"
Appendix A "Practical Hints for the Safety of Older Adults"
Appendix B "Resources"
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Physical Change and Aging.