Rich Gamble's Reviews > Steps

Steps by Jerzy Kosiński

Nov 15, 2012

bookshelves: vintage-contemporaries, depravity, short-stories, rich-top-10
Read on February 03, 2012 — I own a copy , read count: 2

First Reading: I was totally unprepared for how enjoyable this book would be. Small glimpses and recounts of various immoral situations, often no longer than a page or two each, told in a unique and irresistable prose. An architect that designs concentration camps, discovering a rape barn, a mad scientist that pins condoms instead of badges on party members and sordid army games are just some of the many peverse pleasures contained within. Bless you vintage conemporaries.

Second Reading: Still just as gripping on re-read. The rape barn story I alluded to in my first review resonated with me particularly this time around as the Catholic church is in Australian news with many cover-ups of priests that have raped boys. Even Catholic politicians are calling for mandatory reporting of such crimes heard in confessional. In the story the whistle blower returns to the small town where he discovered the rape barn and confronts the parish priest. Kosinski writes 'If, in all these years, not one of the faithful who took part in the many gatherings in the barn has said anything about it to you in the secrecy of confessional, then, Father, of what value has your stewardship been to this village? Of what value is the religion you command to the people of this community?'
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Steps.

Joni Yeah you're especially right about the priest story. Very powerful and relevant.

Joni I read most of this in the Beijing airport which is a depressing place anyway lol