Dawn's Reviews > The Virgin Blue

The Virgin Blue by Tracy Chevalier

Feb 03, 12

Read in May, 2007

This book is about two different women living in two different times. They are related by blood as well as circumstance. Isabelle, living in the 1600s (I believe) and Ella, living in the present. Isabelle and Ella are both marries but Isabelle’s marriage is full of torment and lacks love, Ella’s marriage is comfortable. When Ella’s husband gets a new job in France, Ella moves with him and becomes interested in finding out about her French ancestors. As she begins to research she meets a man with whom she ends up having an affair. This affair seems gratuitous. It was completely unnecessary. I would have been perfectly content with the story without the adultery. The story is actually about Ella finding out her ancestor, Isabelle had a little girl who was killed by her own father because she disobeyed him. There’s more to it than that, obviously but that’s the jist. The writing is decent (not great) and the story is interesting (other than the above-mentioned infidelity). I don’t know that I’d recommend this to anyone but I don’t consider it time wasted.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Virgin Blue.