Carrie Ardoin's Reviews > Unraveling

Unraveling by Elizabeth Norris

Apr 13, 12

bookshelves: couldn-t-finish-it, posted-on-blog, what-a-letdown
Read from April 11 to 13, 2012

I'm not going to do a synopsis paragraph on this review, mostly because I'm really tired tonight.

First of all, let me say that I know there are many readers and reviewers out there who think that a rating and review should not be given for a book that was not finished. Well, guess what--I'm not one of those people. I read more than 250 pages of this book, and that was more than enough to get a feel on it, for me. So as you read this review, keep in mind that I DID NOT make it all the way to the end. So if something absolutely mind-bending and awesome happened there, well, I didn't find out about it, cause I was not interested enough to get there.

From the first pages of the book, I absolutely HATED Janelle. And yes, even after reading about the things that happened to her and the obstacles in her life, my feelings did not change. I found her to be abrasive, bitchy, and holier than thou. She even lashes out at her younger brother, who's never done a thing to her. There are ways to be a kickass chick without being an insufferable one, but unfortunately that is the way Janelle came off to me.

As far as plot--I felt like the author was trying to work too many storylines at once. And, like I mentioned, maybe they all come together in the end, but for the portion of the book that I read, I found myself many times thinking, "What the eff is even going on right now?"

Ben was a bit more tolerable than his friends and Janelle, but I still did not find myself engaging with him. I don't know--he seemed like everything Janelle was doing was not a surprise to him. I'm not sure how to explain it, it was just one of those things.

At the point where I stopped, the sci-fi ish stuff was just coming up. And not that I'm stupid or anything, but once again I just found myself going, "What?" I do enjoy many sci fi shows and books, so it's not like I'm unfamiliar with the genre. At least I give the author props for being original in the wide world of YA.

There were many other things that led me to not complete this book. I am not a book prude by ANY means, but most of the curse words in the book felt forced--like the characters were cursing just for the sake of cursing. I don't know anyone who talks like that. I am 26 and I never say the F word like the kids in this book do. Another thing was Janelle's little catchphrases: "I'm like that" or "He's like that", and talking about wanting to punch someone in the face all the time. IDK. Just one of many things that rubbed me the wrong way.

This book was my first real paperback ARC, and I am so grateful to Elizabeth and HarperTeen for sending it to me as such a new book blogger. Unfortunately, it was not for me. And yes, I do fully expect to get flack on this review--out of nearly 300 reviews, mine is the only 1 star with an actual text review written, and I might be the only one who couldn't finish this book. Sorry, fellow reviewers--I just didn't get it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Unraveling.

04/12/2012 page 59
04/12/2012 page 110
25.0% "I do not like this main character."
04/12/2012 page 163
37.0% "Oh God. I had such high hopes but it seems the girl and boy just fell in love in the span of 2 pages..."

Comments (showing 1-3)

dateUp_arrow    newest »

message 3: by Madison (new) - added it

Madison Louise Uck! I hate books like that...

message 2: by Madison (new) - added it

Madison Louise Well, 'hate' is a strong word. I 'highly dislike' books like that...

Ferdy I was really looking forward to this book:(
Janelle sounds like an insufferable cow..then again that sounds like most YA heroines:P