Kristine Hansen's Reviews > A Mind Apart: Understanding Children with Autism and Asperger Syndrome

A Mind Apart by Peter Szatmari

1952643
Feb 03, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: autism
Read from February 11 to October 10, 2012

This wasn't everything I hoped it would be.

I came at this book years ago and then put it down because the diagnosis of my son was new and I was hoping for answers. This doesn't really provide very many of those I don't think.

Instead you have case studies Lots and lots of case studies, along with some pretty weighty science and explanation (and he admits there isn't a lot of explanation) and description of various therapies used on those patients with varying degrees of success.

My thoughts? There are better books out there to explain autism. There are also more interesting personal stories. This might serve well as an introduction, and it carries interest in discovering the wide range of auistic behavior. But if you are looking for solid, easy to understand practical information, this isn't the book for you.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Mind Apart.

02/11/2012 page 39
03/22/2012 page 76
36.0% "Reading about 'Sharon' in the book amazes me because I'm finally understanding myself more. I never knew anyone else with Asperger's could cope like this."
08/09/2012 page 132
63.0% "Reading about 'Sharon' in the book amazes me because I'm finally understanding myself more. I never knew anyone else with Asperger's could cope like this."
show 1 hidden update…