Mark's Reviews > Rule and Ruin: The Downfall of Moderation and the Destruction of the Republican Party, from Eisenhower to the Tea Party

Rule and Ruin by Geoffrey Kabaservice

Feb 10, 12

bookshelves: 2012-new-books, history-american, history-presidential
Read from February 03 to 10, 2012

This book, which focuses largely on political events in the Sixties, chronicles the 40-year effort of far-right conservatives to marginalize and expel moderates from the Republican party. Beginning with the Rockefeller-Goldwater contest in 1964 and culminating in the Gingrich congress's final destruction of moderates, the author also examines key episodes in the Nixon and Reagan presidencies. The balance, reasonableness, prudence, and common sense that typified the Republican party of the Eisenhower era are now but a distant memory, and the loss of this moderation is to be lamented. Moderates upheld values and positions that are no longer adequately represented in American politics. Many of the moderates' most significant contributions revolved around issues that did not neatly fit into the liberal-conservative dichotomy, and the complete collapse of the moderate wing is a sign of complete and debilitating dysfunction in the Republican party. A fine book, minutely detailed and carefully narrated.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Rule and Ruin.

Comments (showing 1-1)

dateUp_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Vicki (new) - added it

Vicki G They succeeded at expelling me. George Bush Junior singlehandedly convinced me I belong nowhere near their party.
That and Obama finding Osama bin Laden was all I needed to see the light. Bush had 8 years to find him and didn't b/c he didn't care. He called the man "marginalized."
Marginalized. Yeah right. He was marginalized on May 2, 2011.
I know someone who died that day and someone else who was burned extensively - but made it out alive.