Kelly Knapp's Reviews > All I Did Was Shoot My Man

All I Did Was Shoot My Man by Walter Mosley

Nov 06, 12

Recommended to Kelly by: Goodreads firstreads program
Recommended for: not sure I would but I think young men would be its best audience
Read in October, 2012 — I own a copy

** spoiler alert ** Walter Mosley is a very eclectic writer. If the ratings were based soley on Mosley's abilities He would surely have five stars. However, ratings include several factors.

I found it impossible to connect with the author's protagonist. McGill does nothing in the beginning of the book to entice a reader to continue or finish this story. I struggled through most of it.

McGill is, no was, a base and mean man. If it was dirty,he ws probably into it some where. And if some bigwig wanted to avoid the police or the court, Mcgill could be paid to place evidence on another, usually sleazier cohortjustifying it with the fact that they deserved time for some crime, just not the one they with which they were being charged.

But eight years ago, he was paid to place evidence of a crime on a woman, Zella, whose only crime was one of passion. She came home to find her man in bed with her best friend going at it on her quilt, a gift from her aunt. She lost it, pulled a gun and fired three shots. They all hit home, but none were life threatening. McGill hadn't felt right about planting this evidence so he took out some insurance.

However, that same week a large assurance company had been robbed of $52 million dollars, and somehow fifty thousand of it was found in Zella's storage space. Unjustly accused, Zella couldn't give up any accomplices because she had none. So, The judge and DA gave her the max for assult, 16 years.

Mcgill had sunk to the bottem. Then, his contact was murdered. McGill is angry. He want to go straight but there is one thing always bothering him, Zella. So, he hires an well known attorney, give over his insurance policy and Zella is released "for good behavior." Still, the
assurance company wants its money back and if going after Zella is the way...

Now McGill has to protect her, find the real perps, and the money so Zella can live a free life. But he has problems of his own. His wife is unhappy and drinking, his eldest son is moving out, and his youngest will only stay clean if he can work with his Dad.

One point in McGill's favor. He knows that only one of his children is his blood, but he loves all three as if they were his own.

Aside from that, I found too much coarse language, but not unexpected considering how base McGill has become.

I won this on Goodreads Firstreads Giveaway program

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read All I Did Was Shoot My Man.

Danniel This isn't a review, it's a synopsis and should come with a disclaimer that it SPOILS the reading for future readers.

Kelly Knapp Danniel wrote: "This isn't a review, it's a synopsis and should come with a disclaimer that it SPOILS the reading for future readers."

Sorry! I believe you are correct. This was one of my early reads and I wrote way too much. Perhaps, in part, because I liked it...gritty and all

Kelly Knapp Kelly wrote: "Danniel wrote: "This isn't a review, it's a synopsis and should come with a disclaimer that it SPOILS the reading for future readers."

Sorry! I believe you are correct. This was one of my early ..."

I went back and placed it in the hidden area...again, I am sorry!