Lois Duncan's Reviews > Every Last One

Every Last One by Anna Quindlen

Feb 03, 12

I gave this book 3 stars which indicates "I liked it." If I was telling the literal truth, I would have given it 2 stars, because I didn't "like" it, meaning I didn't enjoy it.

If the judgment was based on how well written it was, I would have given it 4 stars. Without doubt, Anna Quindlen is a fine writer, though her books tend to be slow-moving, and I like to be swept up in a story. I'd become so bored with the account of trivia about the everyday life of an average family that I was almost ready to give up on it when the action struck like an atom bomb. I believe it would have been better if that had happened sooner.

After that I found the rest of the book almost unbearable for personal reasons. I have been in the same situation as the narrator, and it hit too close to home. Yet it lacked a certain element of authenticity that I can't quite put my finger on but caused me not to fully relate to it. Anna Quindlen hasn't lived through this (lucky Anna), and therefore is vicariously writing about an experience that she is several steps away from. To say anything more than that would be a spoiler.

For details about my own situation, go to http://www.kaitarquette.arquettes.com. and/or read my own non-fiction book WHO KILLED MY DAUGHTER?.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Every Last One.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Jennifer I pray that justice is carried out for Kait. I read that book when I was a teenager and it was eye-opening for me.