Rhiannon Ryder's Reviews > Clockwork Prince

Clockwork Prince by Cassandra Clare

Feb 03, 12

The one book I had to break the -buy no books before Christmas- rule for was Clockwork Prince. Clockwork Angel was one of my fave books of 2010 and I'd been one of the many die hard anticipators of the follow up (which, by the way, was tortuously delayed by 4 months due to a car accident Cassie had, where she broke her wrist). So on the eve of it's release the hubby and I made a dinner time dash to Chapters then threw in some cupcakes and coffee so that we could make an evening of reading (yes, yes, hardly a new thing for us, but you know, fancy new books you're super excited for deserve cupcakes and lattes).

Cassie did not disappoint. Clockwork Prince built on all the things I loved in Clockwork Angel while adding more depth with a handful of new characters, and some fantastic reveals.

Will, my favorite character of the series, had a wonderful story arc. His problems, why he's run away from everything and his general disdain for all those around him are explained, and how it ties him to Tessa and Jem is heartbreaking. Cassie has proven herself the queen of the fraught love affair, and although the triangle between these three seems impossibly tangled at the moment, have faith dear reader. She untangled Jace and Clary eventually, remember? Of course prior to her re-entangling them in City of Lost Souls, but ignore that for a moment. Tumblr and Twitter are absolutely drowning in angry/depressed readers bemoaning the Jem/Tessa/Will mess. It would be funny if it wasn't so endless. But I'm here to reassure all of you- Cassie is a formidable talent when it comes to writing, she will make it work just you wait and see. I'm not saying you'll like it, hell someone is going to have to die or be miserable, but it'll make some great story telling!

Now I have to confess, when Cassie said there was a scene that made her cry while writing it, I was worried. However, I turned out to be terribly cold hearted and did not shed a tear. Who knew?

As usual, Magnus is a character of mystery and intrigue. I love seeing him in this earlier time period and with a full other cast of characters. I can't wait to see what other small reveals about Magnus's history are yet to come in Clockwork Princess, but for now am relishing the small hints and glimpses Cassie's added through both Clockwork Angel and Clockwork Prince.

Two books in, The Infernal Devices books are proving to be an excellent spin off series to the Mortal Instruments. Strong books as a stand alone series but even more exciting when you throw in their various links to Jace, Izzy, Clary and Co.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Clockwork Prince.