Book Him Danno's Reviews > Outside the Lines

Outside the Lines by Amy Hatvany

Feb 06, 2012

bookshelves: 2012, books-sent-by-author-publisher-for
Read from February 03 to 06, 2012

I will be reviewing this title on my blog in a few days - I will post my full review then. I cried at the end of this book, a beautiful story with a great flow that really made me think about the horror mental illness can cause to a family. 4 1/2 stars.

Mental illness is the plague of the modern world. We treat the symptoms, but can do nothing for the problem itself. Drugs are just a temporary fix for so many and at the same time make the individual feel like someone else. This book explores the world of mental illness and the devastation it has wreaked on the main characters life. She is not the ill individual but her father. She loves him and thinks that if he just loved her enough he could change.

The relationships and the love between the characters in this book are endearing and heartbreaking at the same time. I’ve worked with mental illness in my career and it breaks my heart more times then it doesn’t. The feelings of Eden are easily felt by the reader and I have to admit I cried at the end. A beautiful story unfolds as you turn the pages, one which will pull at your heartstrings and make you want to hug those you love...especially you dad.

This book flows well, is easy to follow and difficult to put down. If you enjoy stories about real life that could really happen you will enjoy this book. I loved the way the author brought the father’s point of view across you don’t usually get that side of the story. Her father showed that sometimes love is not enough to change who we truly are, yet it is enough to keep us connected even if only in thought.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Outside the Lines.

02/05/2012 page 125
33.0% "Mental illness is misunderstood by everyone...sad...lost...souls...medication and therapy still haven't caught up enough to solve the problem."