Dianne's Reviews > What Happened to Hannah

What Happened to Hannah by Mary Kay McComas

Feb 03, 2012

Read from February 03 to 08, 2012

This book was an extremely powerful look into aspects of child abuse and possible molestation in the southern region of our country. It is about what happens when people don't want to get involved and also what happens when a community believes in the monsters lies.
This book shows us with vivid detail, how one extremely young girl can make it from being beaten to the point of broken bones and then begging on the streets, to pulling herself up and getting her GED and then making good.
It is about a Mother's betrayal and a coming home.
Hannah has not been home since that fateful night when she was half-dead and finally had enough. Enough that she finally got the nerve to hit her tormentor over the head with a frying pan. She killed him and ran. Or did she?
She had been loved as a very young teenager by Grady who is now the towns Sherrif. One day Grady is forced to track Hannah down to let her know that her mother and sister are both dead and that she has a teen-aged niece that needs care. So Hannah sets off on the painful journey that will either be the death of her or the strength of her.

This is one of the most powerful novels I've read in a while and although I have nothing else from this author to compare it to, I would have to say that this book would be difficult for the author to surpass in all ways. The characters are vivid and realistic and the tempo of the plot kept me reading; totally riveted, throughout the afternoon without even giving me a chance to ever get bored or restless.

The story unfortunately is an all too often told tale, that by no means lessens its impact on the reader. Yes this book did have a happily ever after and I for one am thrilled it did.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read What Happened to Hannah.