Mpho3's Reviews > There Is Nothing Wrong with You: Going Beyond Self-Hate

Nov 10, 2012

liked it
Recommended to Mpho3 by: Marianne
Read from February 03 to 21, 2012

A Zen infomercial for the powers of meditation. Well, no it's a little more than that. The subtitle may be off-putting to people who don't take as broad a view of the term "self-hate" as the author, a Zen Monk, does. However, in true Zen fashion, Huber is talking about ... "suffering." On p. 209 she specifically states, "Suffering provides our identity. Identity is maintained in struggle, in dissatisfaction, in trying to fix what's wrong. Suffering, egocentricity, fear, self-hate, [the] illusion of separateness [are the] same thing." [italics mine] Substituting any of those terms in the title may well ring one person's bell and not another's.

She says, "we are constantly looking for what is wrong, constantly creating new crises so we can rise to the occasion. To ego, that's survival. It is very important that something be wrong so we can continue to survive it." (p. 209) I think a lot of folks, if they're honest with themselves, can recognize that cycle within themselves. I certainly could, and I have dabbled in meditative practices just enough to know firsthand that what she advocates is true and correct.

Therein lies the rub. On the one hand, she didn't say anything I didn't already know. On the other, that's often the nature of self-help: it's not stuff that you don't know, but maybe it is stuff you need to be reminded of, or stuff that can have a powerful impact on you merely by being presented in a different context that in turn gives you a fresh perspective, or maybe hearing it all for the umpteenth time is just what you needed.

It was loaned to me at a good time in my life for me hear it all yet again. It uses very simple language (and unfortunately a rather unappealing "handwritten" sort of typeface accompanied by childish little drawings) to get its points across. I earmarked about 15 pages out of its short 234 page count. "There is nothing wrong with you" is a powerful message in and of itself. Like the title, the book as a whole is simple, but it's deep, and it did what it was supposed to do: it helped.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read There Is Nothing Wrong with You.

message 1: by Stacie (new) - added it

Stacie With respect, sounds like it did what it was supposed to and deserved more than 3 stars. They said I haven't read it yet. Thanks for the helpful review regardless.