Melissa Roach's Reviews > How We Love Our Kids: The Five Love Styles of Parenting

How We Love Our Kids by Kay Yerkovich

Feb 03, 12

Read in February, 2012

Description
One Small Change in How You Love
One Big Change in your Kids

Having problems with your kids? What if you are the problem and you just can’t see it? How We Love Our Kids offers a unique approach, to help you as a parent transform your kids by making specific changes in how you love. It’s the only book specifically for parents that reveals the unseen forces that shape every interaction with your kids.

Identify which of the five love styles you have.
Discover the surprising dynamics that shape your parenting.
Get rid of your “buttons” so your kids can’t push them.
Create a close connection with your kids that will last a lifetime.
Learn the seven gifts every child needs.
Based on years of research in the area of attachment and bonding, How We Love Our Kids shows parents how to overcome the predictable challenges that arise out of the five love styles and helps parents cultivate a secure, deep connection with a child of any age. Retool your reactions and refocus on how you love. Start today. Watch your kids flourish and thrive as they receive what was missing in your love.

With four self-assessments and powerful application tools to use with children of all ages.

About the Authors

Milan Yerkovich is a weekly talk show host on the New Life Live! radio program. An ordained pastor with a master's degree in biblical studies, he has been helping couples and families build healthier relationships for more than twenty-five years. Previously a pastoral counselor for The Center for Individual and Family Therapy, Milan now teaches seminars on relationships and intimacy and is cofounder of Relationship 180°, a non-profit ministry for Christian leaders and laity.

Kay Yerkovich is a licensed marriage and family therapist with a master's degree in counseling. She has been using attachment theory in her professional counseling of couples and families for more than thirteen years. The Yerkoviches have been married thirty-three years and are the parents of four adult children. They make their home in Southern California.

To learn more about the authors and their books, please visit their website.

My Thoughts
As an educator, and a parent who has taken a handful of parenting classes over the years, there is one thing that has to be understood by parents of all ages: Parenting cannot be mastered by using a specific technique, or disciplining in a certain way. Parenting, in fact, is something that you must learn from each day, and demonstrate by expressing your love for your children.

I realize that every child is unique, and that comes from having unique parents (a.k.a. YOU). Instead of trying to change your child though, and the way they behave (or mis-behave in some cases), this book encourages you to change the way you look at yourself as a parent. It discusses the different parenting styles, and unique personalities that many children challenge you and their caregivers with.

There are many days that I feel overwhelmed, and stressed out to the core...but I know that sometimes, I just need to smile, laugh and enjoy the moments I have with my children before they are all grown and have their own lives to worry about. After reading this book, it has helped me realize that my love for my children will grow stronger (even after our not-so-fun moments).

I would highly recommend this book to any parent or caregiver (that includes grand parents as well). It will help you learn about yourself, and will encourage you to recognize your child's strengths and weaknesses. To purchase this book, you can do so via Amazon.com, or check your local favorite book store.

Thank You so much Blogging for Books & Waterbrook Press for letting me review this book and share it with my family! I absolutely love being apart of your bloggers reading program Take care and I look forward to reading more books from you in the future!

Post published by Melissa Roach, our Product Review & Giveaway Specialist.
Melissa is a Full Time Mom & Blogger HERE (please check out her blog!)

Disclosure of Material Connection: I received this book free from the publisher through the Waterhouse Multnomah book review bloggers program, “Blogging for Books”. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255 : “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read How We Love Our Kids.