Elizabeth's Reviews > Mum's the Word

Mum's the Word by Kate Collins

Feb 05, 12

bookshelves: mystery, cozy-mystery
Read from February 03 to 04, 2012

This is the first in the flower shop cozy mystery series. I love cozy mysteries. When life is stressful that is the stuff I want to read. And this takes place in Indiana, my home state. (I'm assuming the fictional New Chapel is actually fictionalized Valpo.)

Sometimes the first in a series can be clunky because not only is there some murder to be solved, but also characters must in established. I felt this plot was a little rushed because of that. We find out Abby is busy body because the main male interest who just met her keeps telling us she is a busy body. How does he know? He owns a bar. He hears things. And Abby and the aforementioned Marco seem very quick to trust each other and share information and go on stake outs together. This felt rushed to me. These are nit-picks, I know.

But otherwise, I did enjoy this new-to-me series. I don't see signs yet that it will be in my top 3 or top 5 mystery series. But I think I'll continue to read it. I think people who already love cozy mysteries, will enjoy this.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mum's the Word.