Ken Consaul's Reviews > Dead and Alive

Dead and Alive by Dean Koontz

Feb 22, 12

bookshelves: currently-reading

Let me preface this with saying I'm not a big Dean Koontz fan. Usually his characters are pretty shallow and the villains all seem to be carbon copies (<-dates the reviewer) of each other. The killer thinks he is smarter and better than everyone else and he is entitled to kill. It gets old quick.

Now, that said, I'm really enjoying this Frankenstein series. The protagonists are interesting. There are many points of view from a wide variety of characters and they are all well developed and compelling. I'm going to assume readers of this review have read through the first two books. If not, this might be a small spoiler: I have some difficulty with some of the points that require suspending belief in small things like physics. The main protagonist somehow possesses the ability to step through walls and to travel from one continent to another instantaneously. This is the kind of 'trick' used in sci-fi, fantasy, or vampire books. It detracts here where the setting is contemporary New Orleans. Usually if I come across something like this in a story, the book gets tossed in the round file. I'll forgive Koontz on this one because the flow of the story and the characters are compelling. Still going to dock this one and the whole series a star for requiring the reader to suspend belief. got to go now, I'm floating out of my chair and am suspended above the desk.

FINISHED READING: well done. There are five volumes to this saga and everything is pretty much wrapped up in Volume 3. Without doing a spoiler, the story picks up in the fourth volume and is every bit as good. Looking forward to the fifth.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dead and Alive.

02/03/2012 page 182

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Dustin Crazy little brown owl That part you didn't like is one of my favorite things :-) I like these Koontz characters that have superpowers.