Tamera Westhoff's Reviews > Retirementquest: Make Better Decisions

Retirementquest by John Hauserman

Feb 03, 12

Read in February, 2012

Wow! There is a lot of information in this little book! It starts off with a lot of scares (if you think that Social Security is still going to be around when you retire). I personally have thought that the only way I am getting any help after I stop working is if my husband or I get a fantastic job that gives retirement. The likelihood is slim, so I am pretty much counting on saving money like crazy, once we both get real jobs and can afford to put away more money. I like the examples used to show that it doesn't have to cost a lot! Especially the example of the young man who put $100 each into a whole life (for $100,000 benefit), term life ($1 million benefit), and a 401K. No matter what happened, he was covered by something, but the term life can expire or premiums get huge, the whole life isn't worth nearly as much (He is fully opposed to Whole-life, as am I), and the 401K was great! I never thought of comparing prices to see how much life insureance I should really get, but am now rethinking my amount, because I'm worth way more than the initial amount I signed up for five years ago.

I also like the information about different investments and different investment "counselors." I LOVE the political commentary! It's obvious that our government doesn't know what it is doing, and is not likely to figure out the debt situation anytime soon. On page 94, it says (in bold print): "The reckless trend of political leadership to continually pander for votes by promising everincreasing benefits while refusing to pay for them represents the single most significant threat to our economy (and way of life) over the long term." It also reminds us that we need to stop blaming others, and be held personally responsible for our own future! Yes! We need to have a "well thought out systematic approach to financial planning..." As you can tell, I think this book is great and will be keeping it in my bookshelf!
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Retirementquest.