Nathan "N.R." Gaddis's Reviews > Being and Time

Being and Time by Martin Heidegger

Mar 28, 2013

bookshelves: heidegger
Recommended for: Thinkers

In lieu of a review a brief history of philosophy.

I. The beginnings, e.g., the Pre-socratics.

II. Plato footnoted by Aristotle

III. Immanuel Kant aufgehoben by Georg Wilhelm Friedrich Hegel

IV. 20th century showdown: Martin Heidegger v. Ludwig Wittgenstein

38 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Being and Time.

Quotes Nathan "N.R." Liked

Martin Heidegger
“Thus "phenomenology" means αποφαινεσθαι τα φαινομενα -- to let that which shows itself be seen from itself in the very way in which it shows itself from itself.”
Martin Heidegger, Being and Time

03/05 marked as: read

message 1: by Burak (new) - added it

Burak Thanks for the brevity there. Are there particular books you have in mind for II and III? Thanks.

Nathan "N.R." Gaddis Burak wrote: "Thanks for the brevity there. Are there particular books you have in mind for II and III? Thanks."

Particular yes. But the brevity stops up top already!!!

Plato :: All the major dialogues. Pick your preferred edition of Complete Works.

Aristotle :: All the major treatises. Pick your preferred edition :: for instance, Complete Works of Aristotle, Vol. 1 or The Basic Works of Aristotle.

Kant :: the three critiques, mostly :: Critique of Pure Reason, Critique of Practical Reason, Critique of Judgment.

Hegel :: start with Phenomenology of Spirit, then Science of Logic , then either the Encyclopedia or any of his several lecture courses (on art, on religion, on the history of philosophy, maybe on the philosophy of history (which is greatly over-read)).

Then there's all the stuff in between which holds it altogether!!! But, yeah, nothing brief really.

message 3: by Burak (new) - added it

Burak Thank you, I imagined specific works in the way you named them, Plato's tomes with Aristotle's notes on them (literally) for instance, which may have been idiotic (such a tome would be nice to have, anyway). I understand your usage now, and thanks for the roadmap. That gives me about 10000 pages of reading, so I better get to that :)

Nathan "N.R." Gaddis Oh right ; now I understand what you were asking. The thing about the footnote is a thing Alfred North Whitehead said about the history of philosophy being a series of footnotes to Plato. So Aristotle would've been kind of a first footnote. Little philosophy humor! But, yeah, would be cool to have Aristotle's marginalia to Plato's stuff.

And the 'aufgehoben' thing is how Hegel's dialect works ; a fancy hegelian word with three simultaneous meanings -- roughly speaking, to abolish, to preserve, and to elevate.

about 10000 pages of reading,

Would make a very fine beginning upon philosophizing!