Kristina's Reviews > Bitterblue

Feb 03, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: must-buy
Read in May, 2012

Bitterblue starts off 8 years after Graceling has ended. Leck is dead, and Bitterblue is the queen of Monsea. She is responsible for healing her kingdom of Leck's atrocities and uncovering the truth of what really happened during his reign. All the while, Bitterblue must deal with royal politics, deceit, and murders in her city.

I was really looking forward to this book. I loved Graceling and I liked Fire, so reason had that I would at least enjoy Bitterblue. I think the premise is awesome. Leck was an evil man who basically mind raped everyone in his kingdom and it'd be interesting to see how everyone healed from that and moved on. I was disappointed. The plot just seemed to ramble on and on. Things that could have been resolved in a chapter went on for chapters. There was no real suspense.

I was happy to see the characters from Graceling again. But I was disappointed they were only around for Bitterblue to order around and use for her own personal spies/explorers/informants.

I was disappointed that the love interest didn't go very far. I realize that the scenario was fairly realistic for young love (and of a queen, no less), but I like my love interests to be lasting. Call me a romantic sap if you must. I just feel that Bitterblue could benefit from having a long-ish romantic relationship. It'd be good for her to know how that works without the horrific mind raping and whatnot.

Also, I was a little mad when it just ended. There was no resolve of anything. I know that their work was a 'work on progress' thing, but I would have liked to have some finality to the ending. Maybe an epilogue in the future where we see how the kingdom is fareing with its changes. [spoilers removed]

I was agitated while reading when I noticed a number of typos in my ebook. I paid good money to buy it, I expect it to be edited properly.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bitterblue.