Jessica's Reviews > Before I Go To Sleep

May 01, 12

bookshelves: mystery-and-crime-fiction
Recommended to Jessica by: Molli
Read in April, 2012

Remember "Memento?" This is a similar premise. Christine wakes up every morning and she cannot remember the previous day. She suffered brain trauma in her late 20s and now is 47, but she wakes every morning thinking she is a young woman, or sometimes a child. Her husband has the same conversations with her every day and she struggles to remember anything at all from the past two decades.

A doctor takes an interest in her case and suggests she keep a journal so she can remind herself each morning of what she learned or remembered the previous day. As bits and pieces of her history return, Christine struggles to trust the few people in her life.

The tone and suspense reminded me of "Sister," which I read earlier this year. Both books have the combination of page-turning suspense and a heightened sense of unreality, plus a heroine who is not completely reliable.

One of the reveals in the book upset me at first, for a reason that will be obvious to anyone who knows me and my family. This isn't a novel you read for character studies or heartwrenching prose. But if you are looking for a quick, fun read and you like suspense, this is a good choice.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Before I Go To Sleep.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by cheryl (new) - added it

cheryl i put this on my to read list when it came out but have never gotten around to it- might rethink and give it a go