Greenjasminetea's Reviews > The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms

The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms by N.K. Jemisin

Feb 04, 12

bookshelves: favorites, book-re-read-2012
Read from February 03 to 04, 2012

This is my second reading of "The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms." It is a fabulous fantasy novel in which gods are slaves to the unofficial rulers of the world, the Arameri, and a young woman has been brought to Sky, the Arameri capital, at the behest of her estranged grandfather.

Yeine, is half-Darre, half-Arameri, the daughter of Kinneth Arameri, who abdicated as heir to the Arameri throne in order to be with her Darre husband.

When Yeine is summoned to Sky, she does not expect to be feted as the daughter of Kinneth. After all, her mother was murdered but what she doesn't expect is what she learns of herself and how deeply entwined her birth is to the hopes of the enslaved gods and how much of a sacrifice she really is.

Author Jemisin spends more time in building the political structure of this world more than on the spiritual. Her gods are more political creatures than religious and that makes for very interesting reading.

Humans in her world are less interesting. We really don't get to know any of the humans in Sky. A few here and there like T'vril, but it is mostly Yeine and the Nightlord, Nahadoth, that we get to know.

That is somewhat of a weakness of the novel in that we really get to know only a few characters but at the same time, that is the purpose of the novel. In a way, it is the story of Yeine and where/what she will be by the end of novel and it sets up, almost like an extended prologue, to what the next book in this trilogy might be.

As I did the first time I read it, I enjoyed this book. Mostly because I liked Yeine. The relationship between her and Nahadoth is admittedly rushed, but the chemistry between them so quickly established that I could overlook it.

It is a solid 4-star read for me and I look forward to reading the next installment "The Broken Kingdoms" to see what happens next. Not to Yeine, as her story is somewhat over, but to see how another god fares in his quest for penance.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms.

02/03/2012 page 170