Mark's Reviews > I'm Not Myself These Days

I'm Not Myself These Days by Josh Kilmer-Purcell

Feb 07, 12

Read from February 03 to 06, 2012

Impressive from its funny yet frightening first pages to its lovely last sentences, this memoir is a marvel. Not only does the reader get a drag queen's eye view to a specific facet of New York night life, but his unflinching reportage from the trenches of addiciton (both his own relationship w/ alcohol and his partner's struggle with crack) rings absolutely true--yet miraculously never gets mawkish or melodramatic. In fact, all his observations seem so authentic and candid, they are at once horrifying and hilarious. What lifts this book up from the delightfully anecdotal is an effective yet invisible structure at work and the romantic undercurrent the rushes along with the narrative throughout. Best of all, the author demonstrates a unique flair for being self-questioning without being self-pitying. The man finds poetry in a K-hole! Yes, the book is very funny, but the jokes here cast long deep shadows.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read I'm Not Myself These Days.