Phillip's Reviews > My Children! My Africa!

My Children! My Africa! by Athol Fugard

Feb 19, 12

bookshelves: drama
Read from February 03 to 19, 2012

I really liked the direct simplicity of this play. Like "Master Harold," this is a three person play with two black characters and one white. However, this play focuses on an older black teacher, a black male student, and a white female student.
The main focus here is a meditation on the conflict between revolutionary violence and the power of words to create reform. Mr. M, the teacher, is a devotee of language, and believes that words have the power to reach into the hearts and minds of those whites who oppressed blacks in apartheid South Africa, but Thami, his student, is caught up in the desire for freedom and the immediacy of a revolutionary movement. Isabel, the white student from a different school, is desperately trying to enter the world of the location (the black town) to which she can never fully achieve access. At the play's end--after Mr. M is killed--the two students find themselves in liminal positions between words and violence, white and black, destruction and creation, education and revolution.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read My Children! My Africa!.