Lucy 's Reviews > See You at Harry's

See You at Harry's by Jo Knowles

Feb 03, 12

bookshelves: unfinished

If you are a parent of small children, do not read this book.

I love Jo Knowles. I think she's a brilliant writer, and whenever she comes out with a new book, I don't even bother to check what it's about--it's an instant Must Read for me. That was the case with this book, too. I was so excited for a new Jo Knowles book. I dove in, and got immersed in her pitch-perfect characters and middle grade voice. There were all these lovely bits and elements, and I was looking forward to seeing where it was going.

And then the unthinkable happened.

I won't spoil it for those who haven't read it yet, but this book takes my absolute worst nightmare as a parent, and examines it, dissects it, explores it, pokes all the corners so I couldn't get away from it.

I tried to keep reading, because I wanted to see how everything would work out, but it was hard to read because I kept sobbing. I couldn't even talk about it without crying. I don't think I'll be able to finish this book.

If you do not have small children, read this book. Jo Knowles is a lovely writer, and this book is no exception to her excellent canon. But if you do have small children, stay away, unless you like to torture yourself.
5 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read See You at Harry's.

Katrina My youngest child is thirteen. My reaction to this novel was exactly the same as yours! I think anyone who has experienced grief reopens and explores the wounds with See You at Harry's.