Melissa Storm's Reviews > Harold and the Purple Crayon

Harold and the Purple Crayon by Crockett Johnson

Feb 03, 2012

bookshelves: phoenix-s-bookshelf

Harold and the Purple Crayon has had a tremendous impact on my life. I mean, it says it right there in my bio:

“The book that changed Emlyn’s life is Harold and the Purple Crayon by Crocket Johnson. It opened her eyes to the world that could exist if only she was willing to create it—a lesson she has never forgotten.”

I mean, c’mon a precocious, round-headed child takes flights of fancies in his PJs with his favorite—not necessarily gender appropriate—colored crayon. It has all the makings of a classic!

As I visited this old friend for the first time in years upon years, I was awed by just the extent to which it has impacted my life. It taught me the importance of making your own way in the world but always ensuring you can find your way back to the place where you feel safe and happy. It taught me that imagination can truly take you anywhere and there is always a solution to any problem if you slap on your creative thinking cap...

It also taught me that pie is delicious, and it’s okay to eat 9 kinds of pie at once as long as you save some for “a very hungry moose and a deserving porcupine to finish up.”

If/ when I have children of my own, I won’t mind reading Harold and the Purple Crayon to them over and over again for many nights on end. Thank you, old friend, for all your lessons and the countless hours of enjoyment.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Harold and the Purple Crayon.

message 1: by Tom (new)

Tom Lichtenberg I was very excited when my son was little and I was able to introduce him to this wonderful book. Definitely one of the all-time greats!

Melissa Storm Absolutely! It's one of the few picture books I remember so fondly in my old age :-P