Hot Stuff Book Reviews's Reviews > The Earthquake Machine

The Earthquake Machine by Mary Pauline Lowry

Feb 03, 2012

bookshelves: contemporary, english, adult, young-adult
Read from February 03 to 12, 2012

I have to thank the author who gave me a free e-copy of her novel. It's always a real pleasure for me.

This novel is about a young teenager who is fourteen, but I don't think teen will appreciate this book as much as older readers. It's the kind of story that moves you, not only because the character is living tough events, but more because it's a journey. In my opinion it's an initiatory novel with a character looking for her true identity.

The writing style of the author is awesome. It's mostly descriptive because it's kind of introspective, but not in a boring way at all. The author gives life to her character and her inner thoughts. Everything is true, not filter in any ways. In my opinion, the author catches perfectly the evolution of her character about her life, about the discovery of her "sexuality" and it's sounds totaly right.

It's been a long time since I didn't read something so moving by the simplicity of the writing style. I was hooked by the strong character that's living tough events. I could identify myself sometimes with her and I was always looking for where she's going. Nothing is predictable like in real life.

It's the kind of novel I know I'll remember a long time because of this unbelievable journey that enhances a wonderful character perfectly served by a writing style in accord with the "voice" of the character. It's sad, it's funny and it's just amazing to read.

The cover doesn't fit the story, so don't think twice before reading this novel. It's something that will force you to think about what it was like at the same age and how you would have react with everything the character is coming through.

Once again, thank you Mary Pauline Lowry for this opportunity to read your novel and to discover your writing style incredible for such a story. You can forget about any lyrical sentences. Here, it's about truth, about life and about an inner travel even more than a "real" one.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Earthquake Machine.

02/03/2012 page 1
0.31% "Time to begin this book. I'm intriguied."
02/03/2012 page 30
9.2% "Good!"
02/03/2012 page 46
14.11% "It's really a different novel and it's for the better."
show 2 hidden updates…