Nereyda Gonzalez's Reviews > Graffiti Moon

Graffiti Moon by Cath Crowley

Feb 14, 12

bookshelves: arc, author-interview
Read from February 02 to 04, 2012

***ARC provided by publisher for review***
While I do love paranormal/fantasy books, it’s so refreshing to read a YA book that doesn’t have any of that stuff. This book is about love, art and poetry and the story is AMAZING!

Lucy Dervish and her friends have just finished high school and how does Lucy plan on celebrating? By staying out all night with her friends Jazz and Daisy and FINALLY finding the graffiti artist, Shadow. Even though Lucy has never seen him, she believes that he would be perfect for her. Unfortunately, in order to find Shadow she has to hang out with Ed, a high school dropout who she went on a terrible date with years ago. Long story short, he “accidentally” grabbed her butt so she punched him and broke his nose. Tagging along with Ed are his two friends Leo and Dylan.

It starts off as Dylan trying to impress his girlfriend Daisy by claiming he knows Shadow and Poet and Leo (who is Poet) trying to impress Jazz. So Ed gets sucked into their crazy plan to look for…each other. Ed takes Lucy around the city to all the places where he does his art. Their interaction start off as awkward, but the more time they spend together the more Lucy starts to realize that Ed really understand her and her love of art. She is reluctant to admit that she might end up liking Ed and she is losing her interest for Shadow.

The story is told from Ed and Lucy’s POV with a little bit of Leo’s poetry in between chapters although really the whole books feels like it is a piece of poetry. The main characters are Ed and Lucy, but the other four characters have real depth and you feel like you get to know them too. It is also one of the most realistic YA books I have read, along with You Against Me by Jenny Downham. Maybe it has to do with the fact that both authors are not from the US. The story is funny, deep and beautifully written. The book is a work of art in itself and one of my new favorites! Definitely recommending it to all of you and my pick of the week!

4.5 out of 5 sparkly stars!

Some of my favorite quotes from Graffiti Moon:
-Mum says when wanting collides with getting, that’s the moment of truth. I want to collide.

-“You shouldn’t have grabbed my arse. You don’t do that on a first date. Atticus Finch would never have done that.”
“You’re out with me and you have a boyfriend?” he yelled.
“No!”
“Then who the fuck is Atticus Finch?”
“He’s in the book we’re reading at school.”
“You’re talking to me about books? When I’m bleeding all over the road?”

-“Now I have to go to the toilet.” Ed looks at Leo and Dylan. “I got a feeling you both need to go too.”
“Guys don’t go to the toilet together. That’s messed up,” Leo says.

-“I’ve got this special way of getting the truth out of Dylan.”
“How?” I ask.
“I kick him in the balls.”
“That’s pretty special,” I tell her.

-“We’re not spending the night looking for ourselves,” I tell Leo. “It’s a complete waste of time.”

-“He could be a serial killer, or worse, he could be old, Luce.”
“Serial killers aren’t creative.”
“Watch a little Dexter and get back to me on that.”

-“I’ve almost seen him. And Poet,” she says, and I want to say, You have seen him and you didn’t want him.

-“You’re a very dangerous girl to date.”
“We’re not on a date.”
“Lucky me. I might be dead if we were.”

-Instead of two people in the middle of us, there’s only one. Shadow. And I’m him, so it’s almost just her and me.

-Her words are pictures, and I’m painting them on the wall in my head as she talks.

***
Make sure to check back for my interview with Cath Crowley soon!
***
Here is a link to the review on my blog:

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Graffiti Moon.

Quotes Nereyda Liked

Cath Crowley
“When wanting collides with getting, that's the moment of truth. I want to collide.”

Cath Crowley
“Right now, I'd be willing to kiss Ed through a bag. So it's true what they say about teenage hormones. It seems I'm raging out of control. It's not very Jane Austen of me but it feels pretty good.
The problem is, Ed's acting all Jane Austen on me and he won't stop talking. Shut up, I want to say. All talk and no action is really kind of frustrating.”

“You grabbed my arse.'
'You broke my nose.”

Cath Crowley
“Go along with it, Ed. I am begging. I am on the ground begging you." "You're standing at a urinal about to take a piss." "Don't make me get on the ground. Do you know how many germs there are in a toilet?”

Cath Crowley
“Let me meet Poet, too, but mainly Shadow. The guy who paints in the dark. Paints birds trapped on brick walls and people lost in ghost forests. Paints guys with grass growing from their hearts and girls with buzzing lawn mowers. A guy who paints things like that is a guy I could fall for. Really fall for”

Cath Crowley
“You're weird," she said, falling asleep. "But that's okay. it makes me seem normal.”

Cath Crowley
“Mum says when wanting collides with getting, that's the moment of truth. I want to collide. I want to run right into Shadow and let the force spill our thoughts so we can pick each other up and pass each other back like piles of shiny stones.”

Cath Crowley
“You were right. Real is better. The truth is better. It makes you feel kind of stupid, but it's better.”

Cath Crowley
“...the definition of crazy is doing something close to the same thing twice and expecting a different end.”

Cath Crowley
“I like that about art, that what you see is sometimes more about who you are than what's on the wall.”

Cath Crowley
“I know about graffiti,' I say, and the words come out as if I'm an old lady saying she likes the hip-hop.”

Cath Crowley
“... I ask, 'Do you think Dylan's telling the truth?'
Daisy checks her face in a little mirror, then hands it to Jazz. 'You want me to find out?'
'Let's not ruin it by calling them liars.'
'...I won't ruin it. I've got this special way of getting the truth out of Dylan.'
'How?' I ask.
'I kick him in the balls.'
'That's pretty special.”

Cath Crowley
“We're not spending the night looking for ourselves.”

Cath Crowley
“Kiss me, I think. Go on, kiss me. At least grab my arse.”

Cath Crowley
“The night didn't go so well because I broke his nose, which was an accident that happened when I hit him in the face because he touched my arse.”
tags: lucy

Cath Crowley
“I can't believe you're still mad at me," Ed says.
"You grabbed my arse."
"You broke my nose."
"You broke his nose?" Jazz asks. "You grabbed her arse?"
"It was two years ago-"
"Two years, four months, and eight days," I tell him.
"-and I was fifteen, and I slipped and she broke my nose."
"Wait a minute. How do you slip onto someone's arse?"
Jazz asks.
"I meant slipped up. I slipped up and she broke my nose."
"You're lucky that's all I broke," I say.
"You're lucky I didn't call the police."
Leo, Dylan, and Daisy slid into the booth. "Did you guys know that Lucy broke Ed's nose? Jazz asks.
Ed closes his eyes silently and bangs his head on the wall.”

Cath Crowley
“A psychic friend could come in very handy." I reshuffled my cards.
"I predict I will," she said.”
tags: jazz, lucy

Cath Crowley
“I've got this special way of getting the truth out of Dylan."
"How?" i ask.
"I kick him in the balls."
"That's pretty special,”

Cath Crowley
“dreaming's the only way to get anywhere.”

Cath Crowley
“I've almost seen him. And Poet," she says, and I want tot say, You have seen him and you didn't want him.”

Cath Crowley
“Where's the fire, Lucy Dervish?'
In me. Under my skin.”

Cath Crowley
“We've basically just met, so I'll say this gently. Are you completely crazy?"
"Just out of curiosity, how wold you have said that if we've been friends longer?"
"He could be a serial killer, or worse, he could be old, Luce."
"Serial killer aren't creative."
"Watch a little Dexter and get back to me on that.”

Cath Crowley
“I guess love's kind of like a marshmallow in a microwave on high. After it explodes it's still a marshmallow. but, you know, now it's a complicated marshmallow.”

02/03/2012 page 30
02/04/2012 page 264
100.0% "Review and author interview coming soon!"
show 3 hidden updates…