u1124876 UEL's Reviews > Ash Mistry and the Savage Fortress

Ash Mistry and the Savage Fortress by Sarwat Chadda

Feb 17, 12

Read in February, 2012

In this book Sarwat Chadda has merged real life with Indian mythology and I find that really thrilling. I borrowed this book from Alison yesterday and finished it this morning!

The publishers have recommended this book for children who are 9+ and I can see children’s imaginations running wild with this story. As I have not yet taught in KS2 I would seek advice on how to best use this book but I can imagine getting wonderful results from it including literacy, RE, geography, art, PE to name but a few.

This is a modern day tale of a 13 year old boy, Ash, and his 10 year old sister Lucky, going to visit their family in Varanasi. I really enjoyed their relationship and I found it real and very honest. Varanasi is hot, humid and having been to India myself brilliantly descriptive of the everyday in an Indian city. This story combines so well with the ancient story of Rama, his kin Lakshmana and the demon king Ravana. I found the link with Indian mythology as opposed to pure fantasy really enticing and interesting and it made me want to read more.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ash Mistry and the Savage Fortress.