Kate's Reviews > The Red Dice

The Red Dice by Christopher Pike

Mar 16, 10

bookshelves: 1993-to-1997, vampires, age-ya, 2010
Read in May, 1995, read count: 2

3/12/10 - 3/16/10: I re-read this via Thirst No. 1: The Last Vampire, Black Blood, Red Dice. Sita has escaped L.A. with her new partner and new vampire Joel in tow. She leaves behind a wake of devastation, jumping across buildings, gunning down FBI agents, stealing a helicopter. After she crashes the helicopter into a lake to try to escape the military aircraft chasing her and Joel, Joel is captured and taken to a secret military compound. Sita fears that the scientists there will try to use his vampire blood in terrible ways, and flashes back to her life in the Renaissance when an alchemist priest named Arturo performed experiments with Sita's blood (in an attempt to recreate the blood of Jesus Christ) with devastating results. Sita tries to prevent this by following one of the scientists named Andy and getting to know him over the dice table in Vegas.

I liked this story a bit better than the first two of the series and I'm beginning to have vague memories of why I liked Christopher Pike as a teen. The characters in this story are not teens but adults (Sita posing as a 30-year-old), and it is written as an action-packed thriller in the vein of an adult novel. I never felt like Pike was talking down to a teen audience. There's sex, but it happens off-stage. There's some light swearing and use of alcohol, but nothing hugely inappropriate, considering the characters are adults. The violence is a bit over the top but I love gore so that didn't faze me at all. I think the biggest thing about this particular volume in the series that I enjoyed was the decrease in focus on Sita's relationship with Krishna (still mentioned and part of the story) and the longer flashbacks. The flashback wasn't quite as fleshed out as I would have liked (you really have to imagine most of the details), and there were still references to going off in a spaceship with Krishna. Still, lots of action and the fast pace make these books very readable if not quite believable. Plus, this volume leaves you on a cliffhanger that makes the title "Last Vampire" even more ambiguous than in previous volumes.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Red Dice.