Leinad's Reviews > The Austere Academy

The Austere Academy by Lemony Snicket

Feb 02, 2012

liked it
Read from February 02 to June 12, 2012

The Austere Academy is the 5 book in a a series called, “A Series Of Unfortunate Events”, by Lemony Snicket. The series follow the unfortunate tale of the Baudelaire Orphans, who had their parents killed, when their house (the Baudelaire Mansion) burned to the ground. Ever since, the mysterious and sinister figure called Count Olaf has tried to snatch the Baudelaire Orphans so that he can claim their fortune that their parents left for them.

In this edition to the series, the Orphans have ended up at Prufrock Preparatory School, after having moved around different places, to get away from the sinister plans of Count Olaf, since the beginning of the series. During this book the orphans will have to face snapping crabs, strict punishments, dripping fungus, comprehensive exams, violin recitals, S.O.R.E and the metric system.

A scene that I really enjoyed reading was the scene when the Orphans, were unfortunate enough to face the gruesome challenge of S.O.R.E. The reason why this stood out to me compared to other scenes in the book was because this was the start of where the book really started getting to the reason why people read this series, to see if the Orphans will unfold and stop Count Olaf’s plans, or will Count Olaf finally take the Baudelaire Fortune. When the Orphans received that message from Carmelita Spats, explaining how Coach Genghis wanted to meet the Orphans in the front lawn at midnight, alone, I knew that from here on out, the book would start to reach the climax, and fans of the series would be able to find out if Count Olaf finally succeeded or not.

The second scene, that really showed the sad and unfortunate side to this tale, was when Count Olaf tried, and succeeded, in escaping the clutches of justice again. He had found out about the fact that, the Quagmire Triplets, disguised themselves as the Orphans, so that they could study for the comprehensive exam that was coming up. Because the Quagmire’s had a massive fortune like the Orphans, Count Olaf kept them hostages, so that he could steal their fortune. Whist the Orphans ran as fast as they could to save the Triplets from a unfortunate disaster, they got shoved in a car and sped off. The last words that they could make out that their friends has said was V.F.D.

This book was probably the most emotional and best Lemony Snicket book that I have read so far. I love the quirkiness of the series and how the author writes and explains expressions and complicate worse that he uses to fit the description of the story, and so that younger children who read the series, can understand what he is trying to say. I find that this book was also the saddest and really revealed a lot about Count Olaf’s past, then any other book so far. The storyline in this book gave us a whole new perspective of Count Olaf, and why the orphans parents were killed. We find that at the end of the book, the Orphans will stop at nothing to get revenge on the murder of their parents, and the kidnapping of their best friends and bring Count Olaf to justice. Overall I would give this book a 3 and a half, as it was the kind of book that I will remember through out the rest the series.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Austere Academy.