David's Reviews > The Underground History of American Education: An Intimate Investigation Into the Prison of Modern Schooling

The Underground History of American Education by John Taylor Gatto

Oct 06, 10

bookshelves: politics, american-history, did-not-finish

A book supposedly critical of the whole school enterprise.

Possibly in the tradition of Ivan Illich, an ex-priest who preached de-institutionalization in a rather utopian way.

A friend, now a professor of anthropology, once responded to one of my rants about schools by asking why I was surprised that schools prepared/socialized/indoctrinated children for adult roles in the society as it is.

Good question, that.

____________

Since the above entry was written, I have decided not to finish this book. In a "pre-publication" self-published version, this books shows promise, but a lack of organization and discipline. Gatto badly needs an editor.

A serious critique of American public education in this century needs to be written. This book isn't it. The author can't decide where he's going.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Underground History of American Education.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Nate Couldn't it be that society as it is exists because of the school system, not vice versa?

David It's a feedback loop, of course. Perhaps the British Empire was built on the playing fields of Eton. Did America's decline begin with the cheerleading squad?

Maybe, but I doubt it.

James Van Duker I see that you have a useful criticism and important points to make in your remarks; however, you misspelled "crritique (sic)" in your critique. I will come back and finish once you have an editor.