Jessica `~Blahyze~`'s Reviews > The Lure of Shapinsay

The Lure of Shapinsay by Krista Holle

Feb 05, 12

bookshelves: ebooks
Read from February 03 to 06, 2012

This was a very original read and like nothing I have encountered before. I like to think of it as an out of the norm paranormal romance with a historical base. I was a little surprised to find myself getting into this read seeing as I am not a fan of books that have a historical element and the accents didn’t bother me either or detract from the read itself. The whole story starts with Kait’s friend having a baby that the towns people believe to be cursed by a selkie and to be destroyed but Kait is against it and goes to the sea to save the baby only to arrive too late, but sees something, someone that she will never forget and who becomes a focal point of her life and to an extent her troubles. When the selkie, which Kait decides to name Eamon, comes looking for Kait she is taken aback at first but isn’t afraid and grows to have feeling for the selkie just as he does her the more time they spend together. Eventually Eamon takes the step to live on land and be with Kait forever but this has dire consequences for his health in time and Kait must make the sacrifice to send him back to where he belongs, even if it means losing him;

““Listen carefully,” she whispered coarsely. “This isn’t about your pain. If you don’t want to bury that young burd, you must release him back into the sea.””

I was sure this was not going to be a happy ending at that point but I am glad that it all worked out, really kept me guessing with what was going to happen and if Eamon and Kait were ever going to be happy again. This is very much on the tame level of paranormal romance, if you are looking for steamy scenes then you won’t find them here but it is still a great story regardless. I didn’t have many issues with this read, but I did at certain points find Eamon irritating due to his stubborn ways but that is his character, being selkie. I also found Kait on occasion to have little regard for Eamon, thinking more of herself. Over all I would give this three and a half stars, this read was more than I expected it to be and if you are looking for something different to read and out of the ordinary, then give this one a chance, you might be surprised.

Submitted for review by author

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lure of Shapinsay.