Carrie's Reviews > A Civil Campaign

A Civil Campaign by Lois McMaster Bujold

Feb 02, 2012

bookshelves: audio, humorous, read-2012, romantic-elements, sci-fi-rom, science-fiction, romance-lovers-book-club, sfr-reading-challenge-2012
Read from June 08 to 19, 2012

SFR Reading Challenge 2012

Grade A+

Miles is in love! Unfortunately, he seems fairly inept at wooing the object of his affection. Miles met Ekaterin on the planet Komarr (and in the book Komarr) when he went to investigate an accident involving a solar mirror. Ekaterin is widowed during that time and returns to Barayar with her young son. Miles plots a campaign to win her heart and beat out all the other eligible men who are soon showing up on Ekaterin's doorstep. Woven seemlessly into the courtship of Miles and Ekaterin are several other story lines involving love, honor, political intrigue and Butter Bugs.

Bujold must have had fun writing this book, and I certainly had fun reading it. The dinner scene alone is worth the price of admission. The many characters are so well drawn, even the secondary characters. Bujold writes great characters, even the ones you want to throttle. Of course at several points in this book you may want to throttle Miles, but at other times his love for Ekaterin will warm your heart.

While this book can stand alone, in my opinion it would lose some impact if you don't know the back story on the characters, especially Miles and Ekaterin. It also helps to know who Mark is (Miles' clone) and some of the history and social structure of Barayar and the other planets. I've listened to or read Shards of Honour (where Miles' parents meet--fabulous book), The Warrior's Apprentice (the first book in the series about Miles), The Vor Game, and the above mentioned Komarr. I highly recommended all the books and I plan to read more.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Civil Campaign.

11/17/2016 marked as: read

Laura (Kyahgirl) The dinner scene is probably the funniest thing I've ever read by this author. I couldn't stop laughing. While some of the other books in the series had more adventure and action, this one stands out for the sheer fun of it!

Carrie I agree! There is always some wry humor in her books, but she definitely wanted to do something completely different in this book. I went back and listened to part of that scene twice. It was so funny!

These books are great on audio. Grover Gardener is so wonderful. His interpretation of Miles is perfect.

Laura (Kyahgirl) I'm going to have to check into the audio books. I want to go through the series again before reading Cryoburn. Ivan Vorpatril's story is coming out later this year too. yay!

Leons1701 The dinner scene was great, a personal favorite. Also, it helps to have read Barrayar to get one particular scene completely.

Carrie Leons1701 wrote: "The dinner scene was great, a personal favorite. Also, it helps to have read Barrayar to get one particular scene completely."

I haven't read Barrayar yet. I have it on audio, though. Can you tell me which scene?

Leons1701 The bit with Kou and Drou on the couch.

Carrie Leons1701 wrote: "The bit with Kou and Drou on the couch."

My daughter, Hannah, thought that might be the scene you were talking about. ;-)

I've been hesitant to listen to Barrayar because Shards of Honor is one of my favorite books ever, and I heard the relationship between them changes some in Barrayar. Other readers have said it's wonderful. But I guess I'll listen to it soon and see for myself.

Kathleen Good info, Carrie. This particular book caught my eyes, so I am starting the series later today, with Shards of Honor, narrated by Grover Gardener, sold as an ebook app by Blackstone audio. Did you write a review for Shards of Honour.

Carrie Kathleen wrote: "Good info, Carrie. This particular book caught my eyes, so I am starting the series later today, with Shards of Honor, narrated by Grover Gardener, sold as an ebook app by Blackstone audio. Did you..."

Yes! I listened to and loved Shards of Honor. Thanks! I still haven't gone back and listened to Barrayar, but I plan to.

Kathleen Ok, I will go find your review. My audio app is downloading as we speak. :)

message 12: by Kathleen (last edited May 10, 2013 12:13PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kathleen Hi Carrie, You were right. Good books! I have been reading the series. I started with Shards of Honour, as you suggested. It was decent but not outstanding. The next book, Barrayar, was better. The next one, Warrior's Apprentice, even better, and so on. I am now up to Mirror Dance.

From your bookshelf, it appears you have not read Borders of Infinity or Labyrinth or The Mountains Of Mourning. Great novellas! Each one is about 100 pages. I laughed at Labyrinth (smexy) and cried at Mountains of Mourning (infanticide) and was completely engrossed with Borders of Infinity (POWs escape). I think you might like these three. More thoughts on Borders of Infinity:

Carrie Kathleen wrote: "Hi Carrie, You were right. Good books! I have been reading the series. I started with Shards of Honour, as you suggested. It was decent but not outstanding. The next book, Barrayar, was better. Th..."

Thank you for the info!!

Kathleen Enjoy!