The Loopy Librarian's Reviews > A Discovery of Witches

A Discovery of Witches by Deborah Harkness

Jun 27, 13

Read from February 02, 2012 to June 27, 2013

A Discovery of Witches is a paranormal romance for the intellectually curious. The author turns her scholarly pursuits to vampire and witch lore, mythology, religion, history, alchemy, medicine, genetics and geography. It was fascinating and enlightening. I finished the book almost believing that these unique creatures really do exist. The book is the first in the All Souls trilogy, and it ends with the two main characters (Diana the witch and Matthew the vampire)timewalking back to the 16th century to hide from the Congregation and prepare for war. As such, I can hardly wait to dig in to Shadow of Night, the 2nd in the trilogy. I highly recommend this book for fans of the paranormal genre. There is much to discover in A Discovery of Witches, and it's carefully and beautifully written.

Favorite words:

Understanding your own power
Accepting your true self
Mastering fear

Conversation to strike up:

If you could timewalk, where and when would you go?

Favorite quotes:

"As I am the end, so my lover is the beginning. I encompass the whole work of creation, and all of knowledge is hidden in me (p. 375)."

"The most beautiful experience we can have is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion that stands at the cradle of true art and true science. Whoever does not know it and can no longer wonder, no longer marvel, is as good as dead, and his eyes are dimmed" (attributed to Albert Einstein on page 455).

Likeflag

02/07/2012 page 14
2.0% ""Something had just happened. Something magical.""
02/10/2012 page 78
13.0% "These other worldly creatures co-existing with humans reminds me of the relationships between Muggles and Wizards in HP. I'm enjoying the read very much."
02/21/2012 page 121
21.0% "I'm liking the romance that is developing between the witch and the vampire. There's great chemistry there. This would be a fast read if I had more time lately to devote to it. It's a fascinating story."
03/25/2012 page 196
34.0% "Progress has been slow for me on this book, but I want to savor every word. I keep having to set it aside for other obligations, but I am always eager to pick it up again."
08/07/2012 page 196
34.0% "I bought the second one, so I need to get back to this book."
12/18/2012 page 196
33.0% "Unfortunately, I've had to set this one aside indefinitely. Not because it isn't a great read, but because I have promised so many reviews. This book I chose for pleasure reading not to review, so it has taken a backseat."
06/27/2013 marked as: read