Laura the Highland Hussy's Reviews > Let's Pretend This Never Happened: A Mostly True Memoir

Let's Pretend This Never Happened by Jenny  Lawson

2043222
Apr 20, 2012

Read from March 21 to 25, 2012

Review Posted at Got Fiction and also at demon lover's books and more

Ever since I saw Beyonce the Giant Metal Chicken pop up in my twitter feed, I have been hooked on the Bloggess’ special brand of humor. I don’t think I’ve ever laughed so hard in my life as I did when reading about Beyonce. So you can imagine my joy when I received Let's Pretend This Never Happened: in the mail.

I know that I pretty much only review romance, but this book is so much more than just “A Mostly True Memoir.” This book actually touches on some pretty heavy issues, from anorexia to depression. But through it all, Jenny the Bloggess keeps us entertained and upbeat. In fact, I’d say this is a romance. She and her husband Victor obviously love each other very much, even though he doesn’t quite get her love of humanely killed taxidermied animals in people clothes.
I laughed so hard at how she and Victor argue, and at the same time, how accepting of each other they are of each other. This was my favorite part of the book:

On organ donation and zombies:

Victor: If you want to throw away all your organs I won’t stop you. Just don’t come complaining to me when I see you in the afterlife and you’re all ”Oh my God, I just peed all over myself because someone has my bladder.”

Jenny: Fine, And if you die first I’m totally donating your organs too.

Victor: Like hell you are. I may need them.

Jenny: Why would you need them? YOU’RE DEAD.

Victor: What if I become a zombie? huh smart-ass? I’d be a pretty shitty zombie if they took my eyes out. I’d be biting poles and cats and shit.

Jenny: So you’re making a decision to not save someone’s life on the off chance that it might be inconvenient if you turn into a less efficient zombie?

Victor: It sounds stupid when you say it.

Jenny: Fine. I’ll just donate the parts that a zombie doesn’t need. Like your skin. Or brain tissue.

Victor: Zombies need brains.

Jenny: No, zombies eat brains. And then those victims become other zombies, even though their brains have been eaten by other zombies, so obviously you could donate your brain and still be a functional zombie.

Victor: yeah, and then I’ve got to spend eternity wandering the world as a mindless idiot.

Jenny: [snort]

Victor: shut up.

Jenny: I didn’t say anything.

Victor: If zombie-me finds out I’ve got parts missing you will be the very first person I eat.

Jenny the Bloggess keeps us laughing in Let's Pretend This Never Happened:, while reminding us that life isn’t easy, but you make do. Unless your dad’s turkeys follow you to school a la Mary and her little lamb. Then you hide and pretend you don’t notice the turkeys pooping all over your school and your poo-covered dad trying to corral the turkeys while your whole school looks on.
20 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Let's Pretend This Never Happened.

03/21 page 162
48.0% "Oh my gosh the zombie/organ donation conversation just made me laugh do hard I couldnt breathe. Oh my gosh funniest thing ever!!"
03/22 page 246
73.0% "mochaslurpeecino <--if Starbucks and 7 Eleven ever join forces"
03/22 page 246
73.0% ""I'm not entirely sure why a man would need two cabinets filled with tools, when I've been able to make it through 35 years of life with just duct tape and one screwdriver." <---Yes. this."
03/24 page 336
100.0% "4.5 Hilarious! If you like the Bloggess, you'll love this book"
04/13 marked as: read

Rane *LOL* This is full of awesome! *hops over the blog to read more posts!*

message 2: by Tammy (new) - added it

Tammy Walton Grant Great review! I'm looking forward to reading this, she makes me LMAO most days. Beyonce was the funniest blog post I've ever read.

Knock knock, motherf**ker!

Thanks for reminding me I want to read it!

Laura the Highland Hussy thanks Rane! You'll love her blog!

Tammy, thank you :) And seriously that was the single funniest thing I've ever read in my life!

message 4: by Tammy (new) - added it

Tammy Walton Grant I'm sure I sent that link to every single person I know. :)

message 5: by Laura the Highland Hussy (last edited Apr 20, 2012 06:01PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Laura the Highland Hussy LOL! I made my sister read all about Beyonce :)