Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog)'s Reviews > Poison Princess

Poison Princess by Kresley Cole

Posted on Under the Covers

I should never have doubted Kresley Cole. To tell you the truth, I was worried in the beginning. I adore Cole’s Immortals After Dark series so I wondered how she would fare writing a YA novel. The opening chapter had me lost because it is a complete 360 to what I am used to from her. But I kept with it and found that KC puts a lot of effort into her debut YA novel. She makes use of the frame narrative where there is a story within a story and I found that it works very well with this book. It opens up with Arthur’s POV, which you will learn more about him as you read, and then it goes into Evie’s POV who is our protagonist.

Evie Greene is snatched out of her perfect life. Her designer clothes, lavish mansion and preppy boyfriend are useless when it comes to her hallucinations. Evie has been hearing voices and having visions for awhile now and she just came back from a trip to the crazy house. Now, as school is starting up again, a new crew of troublemakers are making their way into their school and Evie and her friends are not happy about it. The leader of the group is Jackson Deveaux and he is a Cajun hottie. With an accent that is to die for and a motorcycle that makes him a badass, Jack is the hottest thing that has come to Sterling in a long while.

It’s too bad that right off the bat Evie and Jack hate each other. They are from opposite ends of the spectrum – Evie is rich while Jackson is not. And that causes some problems for them. However, there is also this undeniable spark between the two that happens when they first meet each other. I have to say that I was impressed by KC’s ability to straddle the line between love and hate between Evie and Jackson. One moment their hatred for each other is so potent and the next, they are hot and heavy. I wasn’t sure how I would like Jack, but in the end, I found that there were great qualities in him as a character that I had to admire.

The first half of the book explores Evie’s confusion. She has several warnings and visions, yet she doesn’t know what they mean. KC keeps readers in the dark for the first half of the book so that you are as confused but determined to find out what it all means as Evie.

It isn’t until the latter half of the book where I felt all the pieces finally clicked into place. KC does a spectacular job of plotting out this book so that every little detail matches up. I especially loved Arthur’s perspective later on because it only added more excitement to the storyline.

There were parts in this book that were jaw-dropping. Like, I literally stopped and had to pick up my jaw from the floor. The word “shocking” doesn’t seem to cover it. I have to commend KC for being able to pull a fast one on me. It was fantastic.

Many of you are probably wondering about the level of sexiness in this book. As I said earlier, Jackson is a hottie. But I have also read a few YA books and have to say that this one is a little more sexier than previous YA novels. There’s great sexual tension, there’s some angst, some juicy jealously and some heated moments.

I loved the idea of the Arcana and how KC integrated that idea into this series. It’s smart and fun and refreshing because it takes the whole apocalypse idea and gives it a nice spin on it. And also, with an ending like that, I definitely need my hands on the next book! I need to know what happens next!

*ARC provided by publisher

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Poison Princess.

05/31/2012 page 24
53.0% 2 comments
06/01/2012 page 244
64.0% "Oh bitch!!!!!"
show 2 hidden updates…

Aly is so frigging bored Cheater!!!!

Aly is so frigging bored No, you're not :))

Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog) OK, I'm not really lol

Melanie *gasp* Currently-reading?!!!?! You Lucky *bleep*!!! You'll likely wait til closer to release date to give us the full review.... but please give us a teensy hint when you're done whether KC is just as good in the pnr YA arena as she is with IAD. :)

Keri Lucky duck, lucky duck!!

message 7: by Wendy (new) - added it

Wendy OH you lucky thing! Congrats!

Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog) Sure Melanie. I'll give you a tease but I wont say anything spoilery!

Melanie That's all I ask!! ;D

Taiyesha-Duchess of Indiana i literally have no idea how you became so lucky at to procure this gem. But, im convinced you've got a leprechaun sweat shop somewhere making you low cost high yield luck.

Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog) LMAO! Tai, don't tell everyone my secrets!!!!!

Taiyesha-Duchess of Indiana Annie the Destroyer *Leather Lust* wrote: "LMAO! Tai, don't tell everyone my secrets!!!!!"

LOL, i'm so tired of privileged people and their demands ;) Can't wait for you review, don't leave us hanging too long :D

Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog) I'll post it as soon as I can :)

Melanie Looks like you enjoyed it! Can't wait to read your review - thanks for the teaser :)

Anna (Bobs Her Hair) Where are the stars? I don't see any stars! :o)

Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog) LOL I wont be posting any stars just yet, Anna! I will a little closer to release.

message 18: by Marulett (new) - added it

Marulett I envyyy youu so muchh!!! I´m dying to read this one!!

message 19: by Camilla (new)

Camilla How YA is it?

Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog) Very YA. There's some sexual tension though.

message 22: by Erin (new)

Erin Turner Mad review hun. God I wish I could write reviews like you!

Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog) Aw, thanks Ezz, that's really nice of you to say!

message 24: by Erin (new)

Erin Turner I'm terrible at writing reviews. I miss the important bits and usually remember the trivial shit LOL I've considered googling it but I figure that's just my crazy, sometimes neurotic way!

Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog) LOLOL! No way, just keep at it. A lot of my reviews were like OMGGGGGG THIS BOOK IS AWESOMESAUCE!!!! And then they sort of went from there. As long as you share your excitement and love over a book, you're doing a good job :P

Readinmama Wow! I stayed in the world of adult PNR for so long I thought I would never enjoy YA again! I took a leap of faith based on your review (and my girl crush on all things Kresley Cole) and I'm so happy I did. I'm on Chapter 21 now and seriously considering making PB&J for the family tonight so I can quickly get back to Evie and Jackson.

Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog) Oh yay!!! So glad ur enjoying it!!!

MelissaB Great review Annie! I will give this a shot just to see what it's like, not sure of the YA thing.

Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog) Thanks Melissa! Let me know what you think when you do!

♡Meme♡Reads love♡ Seriously Annie how many books to you read a day??? :)

Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog) Well, one if its a novella! ;P

♡Meme♡Reads love♡ your the bomb girl! I wish I cld read a book a day even a novella!!! :)

Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog) LOL If I could read a book a day, that would be awesome! But my eyes would burn I think. :P

♡Meme♡Reads love♡ lol yes Ive tried it eyes burn head hurts then I cant sleep because of working my eyes so much lol ;p there is just not enough time in the day. so would you say this book is for the mature like 18 plus or ?

Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog) It's pretty YA. There's some sexual tension and dirty jokes, but it's definitely PG

message 36: by Amanda (new) - added it

Amanda P Ok so you're review really convinced me to give it a whirl. I was so sad when my beloved Kresley Cole announced she was going to do a YA series as I knew that would take away from my IAD series but if it's good, its good. =)

Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog) Hope you like it, Amanda!

message 38: by Breeze (new)

Breeze is there sex? I just read about this book and I am a KC IAD fan. I find some YA books leave you wanting....ANd have read that do have sex with a warning because its YA. Mortal Insturments should've had a sex scene!!

message 39: by Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog) (last edited Oct 12, 2012 09:12AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog) No sex...yet. I think it's possible this series will have sex in it. Obviously just not the explicit kind.

Sharon ✽ is an emotional book junkie ✽ Great review Annie...and i agree @ Jackson!

message 42: by Amanda (new) - added it

Amanda P Jack kinda reminded me of Cade, always drinking a bit crass, but has a good heart!

message 44: by Amanda (new) - added it

Amanda P Who doesn't! One of the best heros from IAD. =) Did I tell you i got to meet KC last week? She came to Phoenix. I was so geeked!

Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog) Squee!! I'm jelly! So awesome!

message 46: by Amanda (new) - added it

Amanda P I got an extra signed book and a swag poison princess tote from KC that she told me to giveaway. So i'm going to do a giveaway closer to the release date of the new book. Just a hint =)

Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog) Yay! She sounds super sweet!

message 48: by Amanda (new) - added it

Amanda P She totally is! I was not expecting her to be so nice. She was with Becca Fitzgerald who did the Hush Hush YA books. I haven't read them but there seemed to be a lot of fans for her.

Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog) I met Becca a few years back. I read her first book in that series and own the second but completely forgot to read it. If you decide to give them a shot, let me know I will read with you.

message 50: by Amanda (new) - added it

Amanda P We can start a reading group! I'm kind of curious now that I've met her. She had her cover model with her. A totaly hottie.

I also have Julia Quinn on my "I met her so i should read her" list. LOL. She was Hilar.

« previous 1